Senior Software Engineer, MoveOn (REMOTE)
Headquarters: San Francisco, CA
Must be located: North America
Visit company website
View all MoveOn jobs
SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER
Full-time • Starts May 2019 • Competitive Pay • Excellent Benefits
Work from Anywhere in the U.S.
About MoveOn’s Systems
MoveOn’s millions of members generate site traffic that would make most startups jealous. We have terabytes of data that drive ambitious analytics, fundraising, and engagement programs. At MoveOn, making decisions with data is a core part of how all work gets done. Like many nonprofit tech teams, we're a small, scrappy team, wear many hats, and work across the software stack.
While we often split up who is working on which projects, everyone on the team works on all parts of our systems. We have ~10 production systems—and two systems running at significant scale—getting thousands of requests a minute during spikes of member energy. We believe in choosing the best language, platform, and tool for the job and are not language zealots, but we also recognize the switching cost of straddling too many languages.
- Write code and lead projects that span the entire software stack, including prototyping, front-end development, API development, high-performance back-end applications, database design, and system architecture.
- Debug, analyze, and resolve scaling problems across a variety of web applications, with tactics such as architecture simplification, adding caching layers or queues.
- Create and contribute to open-source projects that share MoveOn’s innovations back with the larger developer community.
- Contribute to system architecture and build-vs.-buy decisions and make hard decisions about complexity.
- Contribute to team discussions on building an equitable working environment.
- Come up with ideas for new, innovative distributed organizing applications.
- Learn, grow, and succeed in your career.
Note: “Senior” doesn’t = a particular number of years. We understand everyone gets to a senior engineer level at different rates and through different experiences. The skills list below is intended to encapsulate what it would take to be successful in a senior engineering role at MoveOn.
Required skills and experience:
- Currently fluent in at least one programming language and web development platform, with significant prior development experience in at least two programming languages.
- Experience carrying a > sixmonth-long project over the finish line.
- Experience debugging and resolving a major production problem.
- Proven ability to fearlessly tackle complexity.
- Interest in technical leadership and in building a software engineering environment where everyone can thrive.
- Passionate about mentoring and coaching other engineers.
- Interested in learning and diving into new languages, tools, and frameworks.
- Experience on both front-end and back-end development and the interactions between the two, including HTTP, CORS, and CDN caching.
- Experience scaling applications with caching and troubleshooting bottlenecks at the database and application layers.
- Determined and thorough—can see a project through from idea to prototyping, design, production, scaling, and beyond.
- Familiar with agile software development methodologies.
- Ability to be effective in an organization whose staff all work remotely.
Location: Position may be based anywhere in the continental United States.
Classification, Salary, and Benefits: Full-time, competitive salary including benefits such as 100% employer-paid medical, dental, vision, and life insurance for all staff and their children, 4 weeks accrued paid vacation time per year, 10 days accrued paid sick time, and reimbursement of office expenses.
To Apply:Submit your application, résumé, and cover letter here https://grnh.se/cb5d04fa1
MoveOn.org Civic Action and MoveOn.org Political Action provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Please ensure you meet geographic and skills requirements before applying.