Senior Infrastructure/DevOps Engineer
Headquarters: San Francisco (or Remote)
Logikcull might be the most interesting company you haven’t heard of - yet. You probably use Dropbox or a similar service on a daily basis. Now imagine a service where customers upload entire email databases, nested zip files, images in every conceivable format (and some inconceivable), hard drive exports, and other content described as “anything and everything.” Logikcull customers need to understand this data quickly and thoroughly. Simple enough. Put it in S3, right? But here’s the catch, unlike Dropbox, Logikcull must rip the data apart, analyze metadata and text and then restructure it so that legal teams around the world can navigate complex discovery matters. Existing discovery solutions are tired and insufficient. Logikcull is truly something different.
This of course requires massive computing, storage, and supporting infrastructure that will surely feel small 6 months from now. Our technical challenges are both broad and deep. Emails have attachments and exist in threaded conversations. A Word document might be a simple letter or embed presentations or even entire email archives (yep, seen it) Almost anything can be printed to PDF.
Logikcull is a complex web application that sits on top of a distributed document processing pipeline that handles millions of documents and multiple terabytes of data each month. Current customer growth trends mean we have some serious infrastructure work ahead of us. You are important because we need help on multiple fronts. We must expand document processing capacity and performance, increase system reliability, and improve our security posture. Customers in 34 different countries (and counting) are depending on us.
It’s controlled chaos at scale and we love it. Here’s why:
The technical challenges are staggering, but the potential impact even small changes can have is incredibly motivating. Last month we shaved 8.5 seconds off of an important document processing step. Multiply that by 10’s of millions of documents and the impact is enormous. Engineers will find opportunities like this over and over.
The impact Logikcull is having on our society is likely even more rewarding. For example, our government customers are now responding to open records requests (i.e. FOIA), in days, not months or years (yep, not kidding) by using Logikcull. Citizens lawfully requesting and receiving government information in a timely fashion is crucial for our democracy. We’re committed to making this process better every day.
Similarly, we’re committed to changing the economics and logistics of discovery in litigation, which is often prohibitively expensive and complicated for those who need it the most. Logikcull makes it easy, fast, and affordable for anyone to participate in the discovery process. To us, litigation is sometimes required to affect positive change (see this blog post about how Logikcull helped to save an endangered species of wolves, not a joke) Discovery should not be weaponized. Access to justice should not be means-tested.
These are some of the reasons we do it. Do any of them speak to you? Our engineering team would love to meet you.
- Make sure our current and future customers can be successful with Logikcull
- Research, develop and document change plans for new infrastructure initiatives
- Implement architectural change plans, guiding other engineers as needed
- Perform capacity planning and technical risk assessments related to scaling
- Study and understand our current usage patterns and system behaviors
- Develop internal heuristics for expansion. “If ____, then we’ll add another node.”
- Work with team members to capture and analyze performance metrics
- Build instances, provision, spec and size underlying resources as needed using modern, cloud-ready infrastructure-as-code solutions.
- Perform data storage analysis and design systems that will handle growth (MongoDB, Elasticsearch, RDS)
- Provide support for centralized application logging
- Develop CI/CD workflows
- Build and maintain testing environments
- Debug production issues across services and levels of the stack
- Participate in a 24x7 on-call rotation
- Share your expertise with us! We are a learning organization
- Help us adhere to our core values https://logikcull.com/company/
- Participate in all-company events
- Cheer for each other and help make everyone around you better
- Minimum of 3 years industry experience in Infrastructure Engineering or related field
- AWS management and architecture design experience
- Experience with modern document based data repositories like Elasticsearch or MongoDB
- MongoDB - 5TB+ shared/replicated clusters
- Elasticsearch - 10TB+ clusters
- Puppet, Ansible, Chef, Salt
- Multi-env Terraform
- Docker and Kubernetes a plus
- Engineering team members at Logikcull are highly technical, independent, and self organized. Autonomy and trust go hand-in-hand.
- Humility + Growth mindset. Nobody knows it all, but you’re confident you can learn anything.
- Team player sans ego. Giving “props” can be just as rewarding as receiving them.
- Thoughtful and detail driven, but also willing to take risks and experiment.
- Fine throwing things away if they don't work out and able to recognize it quickly.
Apply for this position
Please apply here: https://boards.greenhouse.io/logikcull/jobs/996620#.WmYi0pM-dTY