The Operations Assistant role is part of the literature team at Course Hero, which oversees three divisions: LitCharts, CliffsNotes, and Course Hero Literature. We are a small team with a proven record of success. We created SparkNotes and No Fear Shakespeare and now we're building something better. We just need your help to make it happen!
As our Operations Assistant, you will work with the Customer Experience Manager to transition the LitCharts support platform to a different team at Course Hero. This transition is expected to begin during Q4 of 2021 and complete by the end of Q1 2022, but this role will begin immediately. This is a temporary, part-time, contract role that will average about 20 hours per week and be fully remote.
During the transition time, you will interact with LitCharts customers primarily through email, and by phone a few times per week. Your main responsibility will be to advocate for the customer and help resolve any support-related issues, with the overall goal of ensuring that every LitCharts customer has the best experience possible.
You will also work on developing training documentation and process improvements for our support platform. This work will include documenting current processes, identifying potential process improvements and pitching those to the Customer Experience Manager, creating an internal knowledge base for the support team with text, screenshots, and video/gif walkthroughs, and learning from customers to ensure that we continue to advocate for them during and after the transition.
The remainder of your time will be spent on administrative tasks, such as overseeing our requests queue, issuing DMCA take-down notices, and managing billing disputes from card issuers. If you don’t have specific experience in all of these areas, don’t worry—we will provide thorough training on every aspect of your role.
Here are some ways you’ll make an impact
- You will temporarily take over our customer support operations, answering an average of 40 tickets per day, while we work to transition the support platform to a new team
- Together with the Customer Experience Manager, you will work to make the LitCharts customer experience more efficient and delightful for all of our customers and users, through analysis of current processes and software and implementation of better ones, where necessary
- You will help build a new internal knowledge base to train our new support team on, and expand and grow our external knowledge base, so that more people are able to get the answers they need without sending an email
- You will communicate with product, editorial, development, and design teams as necessary to help customers and complete the transition
- You will help to protect LitCharts IP by finding copyright violations and issuing take-down notices
- You will temporarily help customers with book requests and maintain our requests database
- As the role evolves, you will assist the Customer Experience Manager on special projects as they arise, as they suit your skills, and as time allows
Are you our Operations Assistant?
- You have at least 1 year experience in a customer-facing role, with a proven track record of outstanding customer service, including excellent written and verbal communication
- You are adaptable and enjoy working in multiple types of roles
- You are a genuine, empathetic, and thoughtful teammate who shows up and does your work to a high standard
- You have a passion for helping people and a desire to make sure each customer has a good experience
- You can (and do) think outside the box and solve problems creatively
- You are comfortable with technology and the ability to troubleshoot
- You have an eye for detail and an analytical mind, but are able to step back and see the bigger picture, too
- You believe in continuous improvement
- You have interests and skills beyond customer support, so that when the transition completes, there is potential for your role to evolve (e.g. sales, marketing, publishing, data science, operations, etc.)
- A love of books, but also a love of other things, too
- Experience with HelpScout (or similar), Slack, PayPal (vendor side), and Stripe (vendor side)
- 1+ years of experience in a fully remote, customer facing position
- Experience working by yourself, with full support from a remote team
- An associates or bachelor’s degree in business or another relevant field
We value our differences, and we encourage all—especially those whose identities are traditionally underrepresented in tech organizations—to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
How to Apply
Please submit your résumé along with brief responses to the following questions to email@example.com.
- Tell us about a challenge you faced in a work situation in which you had limited context or information. How did you approach the issue and resolve it?
- Tell us about your ideal work environment.