Kiva (kiva.org) is an international nonprofit with a mission to expand financial access to help underserved communities thrive. We run a global marketplace platform to crowdfund microloans for financially excluded entrepreneurs, farmers and students around the world. Our organization combines the culture and technological passion of an internet start-up with the compassion and empathy of a non-profit to create impact and opportunity at global scale. In just 13 years, we have raised more than $1.2 billion in loan capital for 2.7 million borrowers in 83 countries. Our lenders fund over $10 million in loans every month. With offices in San Francisco, Portland, New York, Nairobi, and Bangkok, Kiva's team includes 100+ employees and 400+ volunteers worldwide. Our team is growing as we pursue exciting new opportunities to create a financially inclusive world.
As a Senior Android Engineer, you’ll be a key member of an established team during an exciting time of growth and innovation. The ideal candidate is passionate about both our organizational mission and high standards in engineering. Effective communication is among the most important tools in your toolbox. You are always looking at how things can be improved and examine problems from all angles.
This role is open to both remote candidates and candidates local to our Portland or San Francisco offices, and will report to an Engineering Manager based in Portland. At this time, we can only consider applicants with authorization to work in the United States on a permanent, full-time basis; unfortunately we cannot provide visa sponsorship.
- Help lead our work to design and build new mobile-first experiences and features using native libraries, making Kiva accessible to new audiences.
- Partner with Product and other stakeholders to deliver elegant solutions and key customer-facing features
- Help foster a spirit of innovation and collaboration both within the engineering team and across the organization.
- Work to create impactful and sustainable solutions to complex problems by taking bold and measured risks
- Balance your technical excellence with a high E.Q., showing up with a sense of empathy, awareness, and responsibility.
- Share the knowledge you gain generously with your peers to perpetuate a culture of engineering excellence
- 4+ years of experience developing user-facing features.
- Deep understanding of the Android platform.
- Solid foundations in Java and/or Kotlin.
- Experience developing, delivering, and supporting production Android apps.
- Solid understanding of data structures and Android design patterns.
- Experience using Android Components and dependency injection. (Dagger 2 a plus!)
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related technical discipline (or equivalent).
- Experience with GraphQL.
- Solid knowledge of Scrum and agile practices.
- Knowledge of the Material Design principles.
- Experience building localized and globalized apps.
What We Offer
- An opportunity to improve real lives, solve hard problems, and change the world
- Friendly, supportive, and adventurous environment with a team of engaged colleagues
- A comprehensive, industry-leading benefits package
- Opportunities to connect with and learn from colleagues and partners around the world
We will only accept applications directly from candidates. Kiva will not be responsible for any recruiting agency fees, absent a formal agreement.