FreeWill is an award-winning, social-good startup that has raised more than $3 billion for high impact nonprofits since we were founded in 2017. We’ve been featured in the New York Times, Forbes, Oprah’s magazine, and have even been named to Town & Country’s “Top 50 Philanthropists” list.
All of this is because we’ve figured out how to make some powerful (but complicated!) ways to donate much easier and more accessible. Our products make things easier for the donors who want to change the world and for nonprofits doing heroic work around the planet.
In the last 4 years, we’ve grown from 5 people to 95+ (all smart, tenacious, and kind), and continue to grow quickly. We’d love to have you be a part of this adventure.
About the role
We are looking for a Staff UI/UX Designer to help us raise the next $10 billion for charity by helping create our user experience vision north star. This is a highly impactful role that will drive the Nonprofit Partner Experience, and will take on a high level of responsibility across a variety of complex projects and user journeys. The Nonprofit Partner Experience oversees a few teams at FreeWill that make it easier for nonprofit fundraisers to unlock transformational gifts. You’ll learn a ton about the unique challenges we have in the nonprofit transformational giving industry, and work alongside an incredibly talented team of designers, UX researchers, developers, product managers, partner success strategists, and many others in what you will find to be a thoughtful, intentional, joyful culture that cares about people, values work-life balance, and focuses on learning and growth.
To be a great fit, you have a track record of leading projects to successful outcomes for users and the business. You are a strong cross-functional collaborator, kind and excellent communicator, great advocate for the voice of the user, and are able to take a solution from idea to implementation. You approach problems holistically, with a systems and service design mindset, leveraging research insights and data from a variety of sources. At the same time, you fret the visual details. You uphold a high quality bar, create elegantly simple solutions to multi-faceted problems, and are able to influence the entire company through your work and leadership.
This role will report to our Director of UX & Product Design, Sheba Najmi, who reports directly to our co-CEO.
- Plan strategically and think tactically as a partner with product and engineering as a trio to define the future of the team and product strategy
- Shape product strategy by evangelizing to solve persistent user problems, and establish UX metrics to measure the human outcomes of our work
- In tandem with the product strategy, paint the north star experience vision and drive the creation of product principles
- Problem solve, think big, and explore divergent concepts/ideas while understanding how to converge and build iteratively towards your vision
- Use research and data to influence the shape of the product and tell a holistic end-to-end story, while executing high quality UI/UX designs via wireframes, mockups, specs, user journeys, and cross-platform interactive prototypes
- Bring others along on the journey by sharing your work and presenting cross-functionally, being receptive to input and feedback while being able to precisely articulate design rationale
- Inspire by being unafraid to take on complex problems and bringing new ideas to the table
- Work highly collaboratively with other departments such as Partner Success and Sales, employing your strengths in relationship building, communication, listening, learning, inclusiveness, and facilitation of design sessions to help create a strong design-focused culture across the company
- Use excellent time management skills to scale up, cut back, or reconsider solutions based on project objectives and resources
- Coach other individual contributors on approach, focus, and quality, taking an active interest in the career development of other designers
- Evolve our team’s resources, such as design patterns and toolkits/workflows
Required Skills and Experience
- 8+ years of experience working in UX, UI, or HCI related field
- Experience designing on multiple platforms (iOS, Android, Mobile Web, Desktop, etc.)
- Experience with, and good understanding of, accessibility and design systems
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills, including skillful planning and facilitation of leadership stakeholder discussions and workshops
- Highly proficient with design tools and interactive prototyping tools (Figma, Sketch, Photoshop, Illustrator, Invision, Principle, or equivalent)
- Excellence in both UI/UX design craft and systems thinking
- Experience with managing a complex workload and prioritizing in accordance with business priorities
- Ability to work with a low-ego, highly collaborative, cross-functional team
- Experience with data visualization and service design is a plus (but not required)
In addition to the immense personal and professional satisfaction you’ll gain from helping to raise $1T for high impact nonprofits in a kind and joyful work environment, full time employees at FreeWill are eligible for the following benefits:
- Work from home
- Unlimited PTO
- Professional development: We’ll cover up to $1,000 annually in expenses related to trainings, books, online resources, or conferences that will make you better at your job (e.g. a professional conference) or improve the FreeWill community (e.g. books on anti-racism).
- $250 monthly co-working budget which can be used for local co-working spaces (for team members located outside of the NYC metro only).
- $300 annual budget to outfit your home office or cover utility bills
- Staff holidays and FreeDays (periodic one day office closures to rest and refresh)
- Company stock options
- Medical/Dental/Vision (some single coverage medical plans are 100% employer paid, subsidized rates for spousal, parent-child, and family coverage)
- Free One Medical membership
- Paid parental leave
- Fully paid trips, such as an annual work retreat in a relaxing location
FreeWill is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. We are committed to finding talent that is not determined on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are a remote-first company that’s able to hire in 47 states and D.C. Unfortunately, we are unable to hire in Colorado, Alabama, or Louisiana at this time. We also can’t sponsor working visas, so all applicants will need to have work authorization in the US.
Excited about our mission? Success in serving nonprofit partners requires our dedication to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive team. We encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds and all walks of life to apply. We can’t wait to learn with and from you.