Fleetio is a modern software platform that helps thousands of organizations around the world manage a fleet. Transportation technology is a hot market and we’re leading the charge, with raving fans and new customers signing up every day.
We are looking for a product-minded, team-oriented software engineer with a passion and experience in solving business problems with good design and scalable architecture while delivering a delightful user experience. We consider this position to be essential to our company’s success.
This is a remote role and is open to candidates based in the United States, Canada, or Mexico.
What you'll be doing
You’ll work closely with Product Managers, Designers, and other engineers to plan, design, and implement features in the core areas of our platform. You will collaboratively design and architect features, refactor as necessary and write elegant and performant code. You’ll have a strong voice in the development and planning processes, so senior-level experience is key.
Our stack includes Ruby on Rails, React, and PostgreSQL. We’re on Rails 6 and strive to keep our frameworks and libraries up to date.
What's in it for you
- Be a part of an incredible team of “A” players who go above and beyond to make Fleetio a successful company. We’re a customer-centric team with a great product, excellent support, and countless happy customers.
- Work remotely (within the United States, Canada, or Mexico) or at our Birmingham, AL HQ. Over 80% of our Engineering Team works remotely (including our CTO), and as a company, we strive to promote a strong remote working culture and have done so since the beginning (2012).
- Build software used by people all around the world. So many different types of companies and organizations operate a fleet each day, and Fleetio is a good fit for most of them (it’s a huge market).
We're hardcore believers in easy-to-use software. Crafting a delightful user experience is hard work, but we welcome the challenge and are looking for team members who share our ambition.
We’re a well-funded startup that’s in “scale up” mode, meaning we’re past the days of just a couple of people in a small office, but we’re still very much a fast-paced, highly collaborative company. We recently raised a $21M Series B round and are on an exciting trajectory as a company.
Our main goal as Product Engineers is to quickly and continuously deliver meaningful value to our customers. We have aligned our teams, tools, and processes to achieve this. Our Engineering and Product teams are structured as autonomous squads that execute within one focal area toward a defined product vision. We've also optimized our CI/CD tools and processes to make it painless to run our test suite and get code into our production environments easily, resulting in an average of 40 deploys per week.
We organize our development work into a weekly cadence that takes inspiration from Kanban and Agile methodologies. While we keep meetings to a minimum, we’re committed to fostering a tight-knit team through various collaboration tools such as Slack, Zoom, GitHub, and Notion. We place great emphasis on work/life balance. We have families and know you do, too.
- 5+ years of expert-level production Ruby on Rails experience
- 1+ year(s) of production React experience
- Experience solving challenging architecture problems with good design
- Experience scaling software in fast-growing products
- Strong understanding of object-oriented programming and relational databases, such as PostgreSQL
- Experience with data-modeling and optimizing query performance
- Experience with common libraries such as RSpec and Sidekiq
- Understanding of the balance between scrappiness and long-term code maintainability
- Compelled to make things look beautiful and work flawlessly
- Your deep care for the end-user is apparent in your craft
- English fluency required
Considered a plus, if you...
- Experience onboarding, coaching other engineers on a team
- Have expert-level production React experience
- Have experience with Tailwind and/or TypeScript
- Have experience with Elasticsearch, Redis, Heroku, AWS
- Know a thing or two about the Fleet industry
- 100% coverage of employee health and dental insurance
- 401(k) + match
- Company stock options
- Vision, STD & LTD
- Dependent Care FSA and Medical FSA
- Generous PTO, Company Holidays & Floating Holiday
- Maternity/Paternity leave
- Community service funds
- Mac laptop
- Professional development funds
- Health and wellness incentives
- Remote working friendly since 2012