About the Role...
At Fandom, we put fans first. As the largest fan entertainment site with 300 million monthly uniques, we are excited in taking the next steps in becoming a truly integral part of the entertainment fan experience—not only by accelerating the creation of the reference content we are known for but also by helping fellow fans connect over their passions through new avenues of content creation while aiding the discovery of their next favorite entertainment titles.
This Operations Engineer will be part of our Fandom Tabletop Operations team. D&D Beyond is the official digital toolset for Dungeons & Dragons fifth edition and aims to enhance the D&D experience by making game management easier for players both at the table and between sessions. Players can create, manage, and keep track of characters, as well as browse all of the official rules in the compendium. We’re also giving players the ability to create custom homebrew content to use in the toolset.
Our Fandom Tabletop Operations team is seeking an experienced operations engineer to join the Tabletop RPG team at Fandom and work on digital companions for the world’s greatest role playing games. We are excited to take the next steps in realizing our extensive vision for Tabletop gaming—continuing to bring the most convenience, customization, and captivation to the TRPG community we can.
- Write maintainable, high-quality infrastructure as code in a team-based development environment
- Use a shared code base with peer reviews and pull requests
- Assist with improving code integration and deployment processes
- Participate and occasionally lead planning, daily stand-ups, and retrospectives
- Adhere to and improve processes and coding standards
- Create and maintain project documentation
- Work in an environment where you have a direct influence on product and technical decisions
- Develop and maintain solutions for operational administration, system/data backup, disaster recovery, and security/performance monitoring
- Continuously evaluate existing systems with industry standards, and make recommendations for improvement
- Learn from and mentor other passionate engineers with diverse skill sets in a collaborative team environment
- Participate in on-call duties on a rotational basis.
- Delight millions of D&D and Cortex players who are eager to use our products
You will be successful here because...
- You solicit, accept, and give respectful and appropriate feedback
- You design and implement secure automation solutions for development, testing, and production environments
- You are capable of quickly troubleshooting complex problems, understanding dependencies and deducing the root cause of issues.
- You advance team initiatives through action
- You do not fear failure
- Experience with scaling and monitoring production infrastructure for heavy user load, e.g. 1,000,000+ monthly active users.
- Experience using AWS services to manage globally distributed infrastructure.
- Experience implementing and managing relational or NoSQL databases in a production environment.
- Solid experience implementing and managing Amazon Web Services using Terraform/CloudFormation
- Experience building and maintaining continuous integrations and deployment pipelines.
- Profound knowledge in various scripting languages (e.g., shell scripts, Perl, Ruby, Python), system & server administration.
- Excellent judgment, analytical thinking, and problem-solving skills.
- You have run or played in your own Dungeons and Dragons or Cortex games.
- 5+ years of Devops, System Operations, or Site Reliability experience.
- Proficient with networking protocols (OSI network layers, TCP/IP).
- Proficient in identifying and creating useful systems’ metrics needed to maintain performance and availability.
- Proficient knowledge of continuous integration tools such as AWS Codepipeline, Jenkins, Travis CI, Atlassian Bamboo.
- Knowledge of containerization technologies such as Docker and/or Kubernetes.
- Proficient in monitoring and logging tools (NewRelic, Datadog, CloudWatch).
- Proficient with managing and implementing various data platforms (SQL, NoSQL, etc).
- AWS / cloud infrastructure management and deployment
- Terraform / Cloudformation
- Linux / Windows Server
- IIS / Apache / Varnish Configuration Language
- Site Reliability and Monitoring tools (Statuscake, Cloudwatch, NewRelic, etc)
- Docker / Kubernetes
- SQL / MySQL / NoSQL
- Python / bash scripting
- D&D/Tabletop gaming Interest/Passion
A Bonus if You Have…
- AWS certification(s)
FANDOM is a global entertainment media brand powered by fan passion. The fan-trusted source in entertainment, FANDOM provides a home to explore, contribute to, and celebrate the world of pop culture. Whether looking for in-depth information on favorite fandoms or what’s buzzing in entertainment, FANDOM has your pop culture curiosities covered through fan-expert knowledge and carefully curated and fun, original multi-platform content.
FANDOM has a global audience of almost 300 million monthly uniques and encompasses over 400,000 fan communities. We currently feature more than 55 million pages of content, inclusive of video.
Fandom is an Equal Opportunity Employer