Time zones: EST (UTC -5)
, CST (UTC -6)
, MST (UTC -7)
, PST (UTC -8)
, AKST (UTC -9)
, HST (UTC -10)
Ethyca (https://ethyca.com) is a high-growth Series A startup building the trust infrastructure of the internet. Ethyca’s platform powers data privacy for businesses facing regulations like GDPR and CCPA all over the world. We do this by building world-class tools, developer-friendly APIs, and secure, deployed applications to make it easy for our customers to integrate all their systems together to provide their users with powerful rights over their personal data.
As Ethyca’s first technical writer, you will be focused on Ethyca’s developer adopters onboarding to our fleet of open-source privacy products. The success of open-source products relies on great documentation and thus your technical expertise will act as the Welcome mat for all that land on our doorstep. Your writing style speaks to stakeholders in all enterprise verticals: engineers of every variety, lawyers, product managers, and business operations resources. Your super power is in translating complex technical concepts and value proposition to a clearly organized, concisely written, durable body of knowledge for any audience to understand. In this role, you will lay the foundations for a strong, long-term relationship between Ethyca and our growing developer community.
What you will do:
- Document deployment and product guides for Ethyca’s open-source privacy tools, including Dockerized deployed agents, API services, and more
- Document standards, guidelines, and best practices for engineers and peripheral business units
- Organize documentation and make it easily discoverable
- Work closely with Ethyca’s product team to stay current on product releases and roadmap features
- Work with Ethyca's marketing team to write and consult on technical-leaning marketing content
- Maintain a deep understanding of Ethyca’s open-source products, the roadmap and the growing privacy landscape
- A self-starting software engineer at heart. With 3-5 years of engineering or technical writing experience working with SaaS software products, you know just enough SQL and noSQL, have implemented API and git documentation best practices, have gotten tangled in containerized deployments once or twice, and are familiar with cloud service management products like AWS, GCP, Azure. And we <3 markdown, and hope you do too!
- Empathetic to developers and their needs. You’ve written developer-facing documentation for 1-3 years and are able to quickly adapt to community and internal feedback. Software engineers don’t yet know that they should expect a lot from a data privacy product baked into their SDLC process. We are here to educate them and provide a best-in-class experience using our developer-focused open-source tools.
- An independent yet collaborative operator, your experience managing documentation projects independently in a complex, highly technical space means you’ve worked with net-sec-ops, devops teams, data/base engineering teams, marketing, and product engineering teams and you know how and when to engage each.
- A relentless troubleshooter. No problem too tough, no issue too elusive; we are looking for someone who will tackle the sometimes nebulous documentation from engineers and work through it, rather than around it.
- An egoless, yet expert liaison between Ethyca open-source engineering teams and the developer community. Great writing is everyone’s responsibility at Ethyca, but sometimes we need a little help (okay, a lot of help!) from experts like you! You are an exceptional writer, nay, wordsmith, that understands that effective, concise writing leads to better comprehension of complex systems.
- Competitive cash and equity compensation
- 100% medical and dental insurance coverage for you and your dependent(s)
- Remote-friendly office hours and vacation policy
- Sponsored company lunches and events
- Parental leave and 401K plan
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We do not discriminate on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other protected characteristics.
Ethyca is a distributed team with headquarters in NYC and remote workers across the US. When it’s safe to meet again, you’ll have the opportunity to travel to NYC a few times a year for company events. We are currently unable to sponsor visas so require that you are authorized to work in the USA.
We’re a data privacy company building a missing piece of the Internet’s infrastructure: the trust layer that empowers users and businesses to manage data respectfully. Every day, we’re solving challenges for customers and thinking about the future of human rights as society increasingly moves online. If this sounds intriguing and you’re excited to shape that future with us, we’d love to talk to you!