Hi, my name is Brad Touesnard
. I’m the founder of Delicious Brains Inc. We make high quality products for WordPress.
The “we” is currently a small team
of developers, one designer, one marketer, and myself. I’m very proud to say that our little crew has been managing to delight thousands of customers, working from our homes since 2012.
Despite the crazy times we’re living in, we have big plans for 2021 and this is a great opportunity to join a small team of talented folks building awesome products before we get bigger.The Job
I’m looking for a talented developer with lots of experience building WordPress plugins to join Ram
working on our sites:
- deliciousbrains.com (WooCommerce)
- bettersearchreplace.com (Easy Digital Downloads)
- spinupwp.com (custom checkout)
In the past, WordPress development has been very PHP-heavy, but that is changing. React is taking over WordPress core, WooCommerce, and lots of plugins including ours
. So although working on our sites is still mostly PHP, the React work will be ramping up.
A specific React project we’ll tackle soon is to extend the new WooCommerce Admin reports to include reporting for our custom software licensing and subscriptions addon. This will be a great opportunity for you to ramp up on React if you haven’t already.
You’ll also join the rest of our whole team in writing new articles and updating existing content for our sites. We send an email to our 11k subscribers every week about our content.
Although this is how you’ll start, we’ve shuffled people around lots in the past and we’ll certainly be building new products in the future, so your role is certainly not set in stone.Responsibilities
- Develop our custom software licensing and subscriptions addon for WooCommerce that runs on deliciousbrains.com (we aim to turn this into a product someday)
- Improve the APIs that our WordPress plugins connect to for licensing, support, statistics, etc
- Build new APIs to add cloud features to our plugins
- Work with design and marketing teams to implement new sections, pages, promotions, pricing, etc.
- Chip away at the backlog of fixes and improvements
- Maintain and write new acceptance tests
- Test WordPress core and third-party plugin updates and fix any issues
- Help maintain the servers running our sites
- Write articles and tutorials for our blog
- Attend company retreats (see job posting)
- Expert PHP development skills
- 5 years of advanced PHP development
- 5 years of HTML & CSS development
- 2 years of advanced WordPress plugin development
- 1 year working with git as source control
- Experience writing automated tests
- Experience working with complex APIs like Amazon Web Services
- Excellent English communication skills (spoken and written)
- Work hours that overlap some with the EST timezone
- Self-motivated and work well independently
- Comfortable working remotely (we don’t have an office)
- Experience with modern JS frameworks (e.g. React, Vue.js, Angular)
- Experience developing with the Laravel framework
- System administration skills
- UX and design skills
- Open source contributions
- Computer Science degree or equivalent
You’re thrilled to work with the latest hotness language or framework but also thrive working on a “fixer-upper” project. You respect old code
, no matter how ugly it looks. You truly enjoy figuring out how old code works, refactoring it, and tackling the challenges that come with it. You have experience doing this type of work and know you love it.
You’re a problem solver
who loves to analyze an issue, recreate it and track it back to the source of the problem. You won’t commit any code unless it’s fully tested and solves the problem. Better still, you write the tests to go with it.
You’re curious and love to learn
. You embrace the opportunity to level up, learn something new and really dig into it. You’re a disciplined worker
and have no trouble getting work done at home on any given day.
You value consistency above preference
and will adopt new coding styles, standards, and tools to that end. You are stellar at identifying the simple, elegant solution in a sea of over-engineering
Although you enjoy working with people to help you generate ideas and formulate a plan of attack on a project, you do your best work in isolation
without interruption. You’re proactive in tackling things that need to be done without direction
You’re exceptional at communicating in writing via instant message, email, etc. You’re ok on the phone and video chat too. You understand that clear, concise written communication
is how remote teams thrive. Putting a pull request up for review without explaining its context is unheard of for you.You own both successes and failures
. When a project you’re leading turns into a disaster, you own it and you learn from it. You never point the finger at others.You invite criticism
and genuinely want to grow as a professional. You’re onboard with pushing each other to be better
and are not afraid to give constructive criticism in addition to receiving it.The Offer
- Remote First. We have always been a remote company, since the very start in 2012. Working from home has its challenges, but you’ll be surrounded by empathetic folks who have been successfully working from home for many years.
- Company Retreats. As a remote company, it’s super important to get some face time. In 2019 we had a blast in Berlin but we had to cancel our trip to Portugal this past June. Hopefully we’ll be able to meet up again soon. Will you be joining us?
- Location Independent. Work from wherever you’re happiest. All members of our team currently work from their homes in the US, Canada, the UK, and India.
- Choose Your Schedule. Most companies claim to have flexible hours, but the reality is often very different. We flex our hours for real. 💪 As long as on average you’re working the number of hours you’ve committed to working each week, we’re good.
- Personal Development. If there’s a conference or event that will help you level up, the company will cover your expenses. You’re also allotted some time each month to learn something new unrelated to your job, participate in community discussions, and/or contribute to an open source project.
- Profit Sharing. I present a detailed financial report to the team quarterly so everyone knows how the company is doing. And when the company does well, the team does well. Last year, on average team members received USD $3,600 each.
- Company Holidays. Things get pretty quiet in late December / early January, so we always treat ourselves to a couple of weeks off to reboot during this time.
- Paid Leave. For the birth or adoption of a child, the company offers 8 weeks of 100% paid leave for primary caregivers and 3 weeks for secondary caregivers. We also offer 5 paid sick days and 3 days of paid bereavement leave.
- Health Insurance. Members of the team based in Canada are eligible for health/dental/life/disability insurance on a company plan while those outside of Canada are eligible for a stipend to partially cover insurance costs.
- Competitive Salaries. The company typically pays salaries that are competitive with the market in which you reside. For this role, typical salary ranges would be:
- United States – USD $75,000 – $120,000 / year
- Canada, UK, Australia, New Zealand – USD $65,000 – $110,000 / year
- India, Argentina, Brazil – USD $35,000 – $55,000 / year
There are situations that call for higher pay even when living in a region with a lower cost of living, so we’re flexible on this.
Fill out the application form:https://deliciousbrains.com/wordpress-developer-apply
We are an equal opportunity employer. Application information that is prone to unconscious biases is hidden during the review process whenever possible. We judge the content of the applications on their own without knowledge of the applicant’s race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, or age. We support workplace diversity, but not at the expense of equal opportunity and meritocracy. We’re looking for talented and empathetic people no matter their other attributes.
I look forward to reviewing your application.
Best of luck,
Founder & CEO
Delicious Brains Inc.