Defiant is a small, dynamic, fast-growing, and profitable company with loyal customers who love our products and services. We are the global leader in WordPress security, protecting over 3 million websites.
Are you excited about working for a technology company that is securing the web? Are you looking for full-time, flexible hours* working remotely from anywhere in the UK, Canada, United States, Australia, or New Zealand? If so, this may be your dream job!
*Required core hours of 10am - 2pm Pacific Time
You'll work with a talented and highly-motivated team that is friendly, fast-moving, self-managing, and highly capable with a sense of humor. Our team's family time is important; we won't typically require long hours when we can avoid it, which is almost always. Our entire team works remotely using Slack for casual interaction, so you can live practically anywhere in the World if you have an Internet connection. There's no micro-management here—we trust that you will see tasks through to completion and communicate with your fellow team members when needed or ask for help when needed.
At Defiant, ‘trust’ is the attribute we value most highly among our team members. We need to know that you can grab a task, communicate clearly with stakeholders, and see the task to completion with superb attention to detail.
We use apps like Slack, FogBugz, GitHub, and Google Apps for our workflow.
We must be able to trust that you can grab a bug, do a great job of implementing the required code and do it in a way that is scalable, secure, bug free and maintainable. Our release tempo is frequent, and we put a premium on our team being able to produce well engineered software. We're not a bureaucracy. The code you write will be deployed in short order on over 3 million websites and we need to ensure that our team continues to provide the high standard of engineering our customers have become accustomed to.
The specific skills we require for this position are:
- Significant development experience with PHP. You've written code that is not only secure but scales to a large number of users. Experience with Laravel is a strong plus.
- Production experience with MySQL. You've designed database schemas with an emphasis on scalability and performance.
- Experience working with large amounts of frequently updated data, and designing efficient schemas, is a plus.
- Experience with Apache, NGINX, HAProxy, and/or OpenResty. You've built apps on a LAMP/LEMP stack.
- Experience with HTML, CSS, and JS. Vue.js and/or Node.js experience is a strong plus.
- Working knowledge of Git and GitHub. You've collaborated with other developers on a project on GitHub.
- Experience using Linux systems. You're comfortable using the command line to troubleshoot issues on a server.
- Experience with AWS. You've built apps that run and scale in AWS.
- Understanding of common web vulnerabilities. You're able to identify vulnerabilities through code reviews.
- Experience with WordPress. You've written custom code that utilizes the WordPress API.
- A keen interest in infosec. Credentials like Security+, CISSP or other is a strong plus.
- Knowledge of other languages a strong plus.
All positions require a trial period of approximately 2-3 weeks with a minimum commitment of 10 hours per week. You will be paid for this short-term contract, and it will be used to evaluate whether both parties want to pursue an ongoing, regular employment relationship.
All offers of employment are contingent on successful completion of a background check. The results of the background check are considered as they relate to the position and do not automatically disqualify someone from a offer of employment with the company.