Dataquest is an interactive online learning platform for data science. We’re passionate about helping students go from zero to job-ready. We help students deeply learn concepts, build projects, work together, and gain the confidence they need to start new careers. Read more about our philosophy here
, and read what students think here
We want to help tens of millions of students worldwide change their lives through data science education, and you’ll play a key role in helping us get there. We’re looking for collaborative and passionate team members, to help us continue to build out our 30+ person remote, global team.
This is a fully remote company and we are open to applications worldwide. You don't have to match all of the listed requirements to apply, we're truly looking for people who can grow along with our diverse and global team.
Job purpose and overview
Platform engineers develop the platform which allows product engineers and content authors to build the user-facing application. They work with the Head of Engineering, as well as with members of the content and engineering teams to specify, plan, and implement new features.
Platform engineers are also responsible for maintaining the infrastructure and tooling that supports the user-facing application and development process. This includes the code running platform, the application infrastructure, and CI/CD tools.
Additionally, you'll be working on an exciting internal project: we're rebuilding the code running system from the ground up targeting 500 milliseconds across the board so we can be the industry leaders in code running speed.
Stack you will use
You will use Python, AWS (Lambda, EFS, S3, Kinesis, etc.), Google Cloud Platform (GKE/Kubernetes), Jenkins, and Terraform.
Reports to Head of Engineering
Responsibilities and tasks
- Specify and implement platform projects
- Identify bugs and technical debt that need to be fixed
- Maintain high availability (99.9% uptime) for our production application software
- Join on-call rotation to respond to site downtime
- Improve the efficiency of our development tools and systems
- Maintain scalable and extensible infrastructure architecture
- Software Development – 70%
- Collaboration – 20%
- Research and Discovery – 10%
- Python programming experience
- Experience using Docker
- Experience building and maintaining CI/CD tools
- Experience managing Infrastructure as Code (e.g., Terraform, CloudFormation, etc.)
- Experience with container orchestration (e.g., Kubernetes, Docker Swarm, etc.)
- Experience managing cloud-hosted infrastructure (AWS or GCP)
- Applies programming best practices to build scalable and efficient software
- Communication of technical concepts to non-technical audiences
- Willingness to learn new technology as needed
Our Compensation Philosophy:
We benchmark everyone against a high-paying anchor market and add a cost of living multiplier. This approach allows us to hire the best candidates and retain the best talent for each role regardless of location, as well as bringing more diversity to our team.
Some perks of working at Dataquest:
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- Flexible vacation and sick leave
- An annual professional development allowance
- Free Dataquest account for life
- The chance to see your impact on the lives of our students every day
- The opportunity to be part of an engaged and mission-driven team
- The chance to contribute to team direction
- 100% remote with flexible working hours
- A supportive environment where help is always accessible