Remote Fullstack Developer
Headquarters: London, UK
View all Catapult jobs →
Before you start reading, keep in mind that the aim of this job ad is to give you a feel for what it’s like to work at Catapult. There’s lots of research which suggests people often don’t apply because of so-called “requirements” in a job description. If you’re an experienced engineer, like the sound of working here and see something you’re not an expert in yet, that’s great, apply and you can learn it here!
What you’re getting yourself in for
Our mission is to build the worlds best part time job. We spend our time thinking about how to give a global workforce complete control of their own work life while completely automating the hundreds of thousands of man hours which would normally be required to manage people on this scale.
We do this through React Native based iOS and Android applications, React based web applications, a mixture of Ruby/ Rails and Phoenix/ Elixir on the backend and Rest API’s to communicate with machine learning services from our data science team.
Businesses ranging from the largest high-street retailers to five star hotels and and independent coffee boutiques rely on Catapult as their casual workforce. If you’ve spent time in London, you’ve probably been served by a Catapult waiter or sales assistant without even realising it!
Our company values https://writing.joincatapult.com/our-values/ are really important to us and influence every facet of how we work together.
Things we’ve been working on recently
No two days are ever the same in a startup, but to give you a flavour of what we’ve been up to recently:
- Building a stand-alone signup service to test different approaches to user on-boarding. We took this as an opportunity to test out Phoenix + GraphQL. We were so impressed with the productivity boost we’re also now incorporating GraphQL into our primary Rails application
- Using Kubernetes to deploy standalone environments for our feature branches, complete with anonymised production data
About the role
We’ve been growing rapidly over the last three years and as we start our international roll out, we’re looking for ambitious engineers to help us build the future of work. Our engineering principles https://writing.joincatapult.com/engineering-principles/ give a good feel for how we work together and what we value.
You’ll be working joining out remote team so working from anywhere in Europe is fine! We work in small cross-functional pods of developers who focus on a particular product area and encourage people to rotate across teams.
We've found that the best developers are outliers so these are guidelines rather than firm requirements. If you're passionate about building great software, finding the best tools for the job and learning new skills, we'd like to hear from you!
- Solid experience developing web or mobile applications commercially
- You really buy into the importance of getting things into the hands of a user quickly and then iterating
- You actively think about when to incur technical debt and when to pay it back
- You like to explore new technologies and have a keen eye for when something new can add real business value
- Bonus points for Rails, React, Phoenix or GraphQL
As well as being a part of a well funded startup at one of the most exciting phases of it’s growth, you’ll get:
Competitive salary + stock options (Between £40k - £60k depending on experience)
- A strong approach to professional development and mentorship, everyone has a dedicated L&D budget for books, training, conferences and the like
- Product retreats at least every two months where the whole team either comes to London or goes somewhere warm (the next one's in Lisbon!), looks back on how we can improve and then spends a week together hacking on new ideas and exploring new technologies
- Regular social events & the opportunity to travel to our other offices
- Company Macbook Pro which you’re free to take home
- A flexible work environment focused on output not hours
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays
Apply for this position
Complete the application form at https://joincatapult.workable.com/jobs/792129/candidates/new