Low Latency Software Engineer
Exempt Overtime Eligible:
Benefits Eligible: Benefit Based
Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
LIGO Laboratory (the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-wave Observatory) seeks a highly motivated and skilled Low Latency Software Engineer to join its team.
This position may be located at Caltech in Pasadena , CA, at the LIGO Hanford Observatory located in Richland, WA or Livingston, LA or fully remote.
LIGO Laboratory is a National Science Foundation major facility dedicated to observing the newly discovered gravitational-wave universe. Jointly operated by the California Institute of Technology and Massachusetts Institute of Technology, the LIGO Laboratory operates world-leading observatories near Richland, WA and Baton Rouge, LA as well as R&D centers on the Caltech and MIT campuses. The LIGO Laboratory's mission spans a broad and vibrant array of activities related to gravitational-wave physics and astronomy, including detector operations, R&D toward detector improvements, gravitational-wave astrophysics , observatory operations, and education and public outreach.
For more information, please visit the Laboratory website at http://smb://www.ligo.caltech.edu.
Life as a Caltech Employee
People choose to work at LIGO for many reasons, often with fulfilling, long-term careers. LIGO is a family-friendly laboratory and strives to ensure everyone is able to achieve the work-life balance they desire. Employees have access to a wide range of benefits including a child-care assistance program. Caltech's benefits program offers a quality, competitive benefits package that is affordable for you and the Institute. The program provides a strong base of coverage for you and your dependents, and the ability to choose the plan and the level of coverage that best meet your needs. We also offer a 403(b) defined contribution plan to eligible staff as well as a Voluntary Retirement Savings (TDA) Plan.
Caltech HR diversity page: https://hr.caltech.edu/careers/2commitment-diversity
Caltech and LIGO Laboratory's goal is to build a world-class, diverse workforce and support an inclusive environment that encourages professional development and offers top-notch benefits. Our talented staff, who work at the Caltech campus, or one of our Observatories, come from a variety of fields. Positions include scientists, engineers, information technology staff, outreach professionals, managers, writers, business professionals, and administrative staff. We are deeply committed to encouraging people of all backgrounds to apply for these opportunities. Our experience has demonstrated that the broader the styles, characteristics, backgrounds, and abilities of our staff — in other words, the more diverse our team is — the greater potential we have for success. Caltech is an equal opportunity employer.
LIGO Laboratory is committed to being a welcoming place for everyone regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status.
The Caltech LIGO Laboratory is seeking a Software Engineer to help develop next-generation data streaming and stream processing infrastructure to support the low-latency processing of LIGO data for multi-messenger science and detector commissioning and characterization.
The position must interface with a dispersed team across the LIGO Laboratory (four locations), and with other developers in the LIGO Scientific Collaboration (LSC). Travel to other LIGO sites, as well as to conferences and meetings, may be required on occasion. Work will be done as part of a team of scientists and software/computing engineers developing the new low-latency data stream processing infrastructure.
• Evaluate data streaming and stream processing frameworks and technologies
• Build and test prototype systems
• Develop a full production system, including all needed services and client libraries
• Help maintain and support the production deployment and support software
• Develop integration and system test infrastructure
• B.S. degree in computer science, software engineering, electrical engineering, physics, or other related field
• 5+ years of computer software development experience for computer systems running the Linux operating system (experience can be from industry, research environment, M.S. degree, or a combination thereof)
• Must be proficient and experienced with at least one modern programming language (e.g. C++11 or later, Java, Go, Rust, Python, Scala, etc.) and must be willing and able to learn new languages as required by the project
• Must have experience with network and concurrent programming
• Must be proficient and experienced with the use of version control systems (e.g. git), and with modern software management and deployment practices (e.g. gitlab / github , continuous integration, docker, etc.)
• Must be able to work effectively with cross-discip linary teams, including the ability to take direction, work independently, and work in a team environment
• Must be able to work non-standard work week as required to support project deliverables/schedule
• Must have excellent organization and time management skills
• Must have strong verbal and writ ten communication skills, a team attitude and a high degree of professional discipline
• Ability to travel for Business Purposes
• Master's degree or higher in computer science, software engineering, electrical engineering, physics or related fields
• Experience with message passing systems such as Apache Kafka, Redis, etc., and with time series databases such as InfluxDB , Prometheus, etc.
• Experience working in a large project R&D environment
• Possess and maintain a valid driver's license
• Cover Letter
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: https://apptrkr.com/2450438
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.