Time zones: AEST (UTC +10)
About The Role
The Support Engineer is responsible for and works to resolve questions and UNBLOCK customers with any issues they may be facing, both reactively and proactively. The role reports to the VP of Support and is part of a team that is responsible for delivering a world-class customer support experience.
This includes things like:
- Be an advocate for the customer
- Keep an eye on the various support channels and engage customers when they have questions.
- Troubleshooting and isolating customer issues to resolve them
- Ensure that the other people on support know what they are working on
- Raise questions with the engineering teams when they need escalations or create posts around issues to raise awareness
- Create bug reports when users report bug-like things
- Ensure they handoff any inflight customer questions when they have finished for the day
- Participate in things like planning and retros
- Develop, maintain and review support things like:
- Identify and raise any documentation changes that would benefit the custome
- Be an advocate for the customer
- Keep our support first response times by constantly monitoring the various support channels to engage customers when they have questions (via email, Slack and Discourse, Twitter and Stack Overflow).
- Troubleshooting and isolating customer issues to resolve them.
- Identifying recurring themes that customers are running into so we can communicate them clearly to the rest of the company.
- Don't be afraid to speak up and escalate to the engineering team when needed or create posts around issues to raise awareness.
- Investigate, replicate and create bug reports when users report bug-like things.
- Ensure handoff of any inflight customer questions when you are finished for the day.
- Participate with team members in planning and retros.
- Be a pro at async communication as we are a distributed team.
- Be able to context switch and triage work on the fly, you never know what type of question will come in next.
- Develop, maintain and review our open-source tools in various languages:
- Plugins in Bash
- Tooling in Golang and Bash
- Submit any documentation changes that would benefit the customer
Skills and Experience
- Be a people person and have patience and empathy.
- Being able to code: this is not only essential to be able to support our customers but also to turn around proactive support solutions, leading to more customer self-service and happiness. In support, that means Bash scripting for our Plugins and Golang for our other tooling.
- If you have Ruby and Rails experience that would also be a bonus!
- Passionate about customers and the customer experience.
- Strong understanding and experience with the tech stacks that our customers use such as Buildkite and other CI/CD, test tools, Linux, AWS, GCP, Azure, Terraform, Kubernetes, etc.
- Strong problem-solving and troubleshooting skills.
- The ability to work autonomously.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work and collaborate with remote cross-functional teams.
- Thrive in a fast-paced, results-oriented, hands-on environment.
- Enjoy a dynamic & collaborative startup environment, and are comfortable with ambiguity.
- Able to adapt quickly to changing priorities and evolving customer needs.
We build tools to help the best software teams stay happy and productive. We’ve rethought how CI/CD should work and have built a platform that is fast, reliable, secure, and is able to scale to the needs of the most demanding high-growth tech companies including Shopify, Pinterest, Wayfair, Cruise, PagerDuty, Culture Amp, and Canva.
Buildkite is a differently shaped company that values work-life balance and supports staff to work the ways that make sense for them. From the beginning, our goal has been to build a company that is people-centered, supportive and just a little bit weird 💚
***This role is for candidates based in Australia and NZ Timezones Only***