Remote Senior Product Manager
View company profile & all jobs →
Full-TimeProductAnywhere in the World
Home remodeling and construction projects are often a stressful and painful experience – but it doesn’t have to be that way. BuildBook is on a mission to eliminate that stress and bring joy back to home improvement – for everyone involved.
BuildBook is the best construction management platform for home remodelers and builders. Our goal is to become the default choice for the over 550,000 small businesses focused on residential construction and remodeling. It’s a $540B dollar a year industry, and we plan to make a dent in it by creating the best product in the space.
Builders love us because we give them simple, powerful tools to run their business and help them keep their clients happy. Homeowners love us because we give them a feeling of control and help make renovations and new home builds less stressful.
We are a remote-first startup with team members all across the US. We have a small, tight-knit team, a solid product that is gaining momentum daily, and big plans for the future. As an early member of the product team, your work is going to have a major impact on the future of the product and company. You’ll ship your work often and see its impact in the hands of real people every day.
About the Job
As a Senior Product Manager, you will lead teams and contribute directly to the success of our pro-facing product in addition to participating in strategic discussions that define the company’s roadmap and trajectory.
You’ll work directly with the Head of Product & Design to help prioritize, plan and execute our product roadmap, and as an early member of the product team, you’ll have a lot of opportunity for growth both as an individual contributor and/or as a leader.
You’ll be responsible for helping to define the product roadmap, managing agile sprints and team communications, driving the QA process, and running a tight build-measure-learn development cycle. You'll articulate and develop new product ideas with the design team through written spec, diagrams and wireframes. You’ll partner closely with engineering to ensure the most impactful ideas are scoped, built, tested, deployed, and iterated on.
You’ll have plenty of support along the way, working very collaboratively with the entire team – but you’ll also have the freedom to focus and execute on deep work, which we prioritize over meetings.
On a given day, you might be focused on shaping up a roadmap of features to work on, pitching your own ideas, chatting with a customer to understand their workflow, or providing feedback on a feature that the engineering team is working on.
In your first 60 days, you will:
- Hit the ground running: Manage the in-flight priorities across multiple platforms (web and mobile) with existing commitments and deadlines
- Become familiar with our backlog and roadmap, and lead your team’s sprint process
- Establish backlog grooming, prioritization, and management cadence
- Work across Engineering, Sales, and Marketing to gather stakeholder requirements
- Write clear product requirements and desired project outcomes
- Scope and validate roadmap features, so they are ready to tackle in upcoming sprints
- Get acclimated with available business and customer data and start drawing inferences and conclusions that inform product decisions
- Research and deeply understand our customer by interviewing a few, and understanding their workflows and needs.
- Know the competition’s features, offerings, value propositions – and help BuildBook maintain its unique edge in the industry
- Manage quality assurance process, including feature testing, regression, and release support.
Qualities we look for:
- You have a desire to become a domain expert in the residential construction industry
- You’re driven to improve your tactical software management skills, are inspired by new best practices from other industries and companies, and share your acumen with the rest of the team
- You develop informed insights about our customers (builders, contractors, and remodelers), and can speak passionately about their needs and problems.
- You are a helpful partner to your teammates in design, engineering, marketing, and leadership, you communicate with positivity, and focus on solutions.
- You are a manager of one: You take ownership, set direction, make calls, and get projects across the finish line without a lot of oversight.
- You clarify goals, prioritize ruthlessly, course correct when needed, and deliver work quickly and confidently.
- Your written communication is clear, concise, and effective, and you keep conversations moving forward through the development pipeline
- You use data (market, qualitative, quantitative, and heuristic) to make informed decisions about what, when, and how to build.
To be considered, you’ll need...
- 5+ years of relevant experience in a fast-growth tech startup, at least two years in B2B SaaS space
- Rich knowledge of mobile applications, interfaces, and development/submit/release processes
- Experience product-managing fast-moving Agile teams
- Code competency: a basic understanding of the capabilities and limitations of React, React Native, and related frameworks
- Strong Analytical skills, including the ability to derive insights from data sets, analyze product usage, measure adoption, and understand client needs
- Expert communication skills that can leverage the benefits - and overcome the drawbacks - of being a fully distributed product and engineering team
- Experience crafting product requirements and specifications
- Understanding of UI/UX design concepts, principles, best practices, and tools
- An eye for - and appreciation of - good visual design and clean user experiences
- You are inclined to being scrappy to unlock product growth
- The ability to be autonomous, driven, and self-directed
We’ll be even more impressed if you…
- Possess UX design skills and are comfortable in Sketch, Figma, etc.
- Have additional ”vertical” experience, namely growth-marketing or engineering.
- Have a track record of improving customer acquisition, feature adoption, and product growth
- Know the residential construction space
- Have worked on peer-to-peer communication applications
- Are experienced in working remotely or with distributed teams
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter that speaks directly to this position. Tell us about yourself, and tell us what interests you about this role at BuildBook. Share your past experience, key projects, lessons learned, and what excites you about product management.
For selected applicants, expect 2-3 interviews with your future colleagues to talk through your past experience and approach to design. We’ll share what it’s like to work here, more details about the role, and answer any questions that you have.
Compensation & Benefits
We offer competitive compensation based on your experience and capabilities, as well as:
- A generous benefits program that supports the whole you with medical, dental, vision, life, disability, and 401(k)
- Paid holidays and flexible, take-it-as-you-need-it paid time off
- Equity in a rapidly growing startup backed by top-tier VCs
- Monthly tech reimbursements
- A culture built on innovation that values big ideas, no matter where they come from