Staff Software Engineer (Ruby)
Headquarters: Columbus, OH
Must be located: USA
Visit company website
View all Bold Penguin jobs
As the world has become more connected, the commercial insurance world has not––creating a landscape that’s increasingly fragmented and frustrating for everyone involved. Bold Penguin is on a mission to change that.
Since 2016, we’ve brought on the best of the best in insurance, engineering, and business to help us upgrade the commercial insurance industry. As we look to scale our product across the country, we want the best puzzle-seekers and problem-solvers we can find––and that’s why we’re looking at you (yes, you!) to join us.
In your role as a staff engineer you will be tasked with solving our hardest problems by leading and architecting complex, highly-scalable solutions; along with performing as a strong individual contributor on the team.
At this point in your career you will have had a broad-range of technology acumen as well as a depth of experience in more than one area. You will have a significant impact on the engineering organization itself by helping advance Bold Penguin’s software engineering discipline.
What You’ll Do
- Engage across product teams to plan, coordinate, architect, and deliver high-complexity features
- Ensure that solutions are built with security, performance, and fault-tolerance in mind
- Be an expert in modern cloud architecture and concepts in software engineering such as continuous integration, continuous delivery, DevOps and site-reliability engineering
- Collaborate with product managers, designers, site-reliability engineers, and customers to build powerful, impactful products
- Participate in the full lifecycle of the software development life cycle from ideation to delivery
- Mentor more junior engineers in areas such as unit testing, continuous integration, DRY/SOLID principles, SDLC, etc. to facilitate career growth on the team
What Makes You Bold
- 10+ years of professional engineering experience (with at least 5 years of it being Ruby on Rails)
- Previous working experience in high-growth technology companies and/or startups
- Ability to articulate very complex technical concepts to technical and non-technical people
- Experience building highly-resilient, cloud-native applications
- Full-stack expertise in multiple tiers of modern web applications (e.g. front end, back end, infrastructure, etc.)
- Open source contributions and/or speaking experience.
- Working experience in high-growth technology companies or startups
- Penguins are lifelong learners.
Keep learning & growing with us - we will help pay for certifications, licensing, training, memberships, and conferences.
- For a healthy colony.
Health, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance, as well as Short and Long Term Disability.
- Penguins plan for the future.
401k match program, up to 4%!
- Need a vacation?
Please take one & vacation responsibly! We offer Unlimited PTO.
- Hungry? Thirsty?
We offer free snacks and drinks, as well as catered lunch every Mondays!
- Penguins are social creatures and love to play!
We have frequent happy hours, company events, and outings.
- Penguins give back.
We offer volunteer opportunities every month.
- Don’t want to move to Columbus?
We offer up to 100% remote for engineers!
Please ensure you meet geographic and skills requirements before applying.