Full-stack polyglot for energy industry
Headquarters: Brooklyn, NY and Chicago, IL
Must be located: North America
Visit company website
View all Bellawatt jobs
Are you looking for:
- A young company at a critical time, where your contributions will dictate its future?
- An 'unsexy' industry that developers have ignored, but the world relies upon?
- Team members who devour Hacker News, egghead.io tutorials, and conference talks?
- A remote position, without daily standups, that will give you space to do your best work?
Great! We build user-friendly software for the energy industry. Our CEO (Eugene) has deep energy experience including expert witness testimony, and our CTO (Brian) is a creative jack-of-all-trades. Both still spend most of their time coding. We're a company of makers.
Together, after just about two years, we have active clients that include two publicly traded energy companies, plus the U.S. Department of Energy. We seem to have struck a nerve with industry insiders that want to see electric utilities catch up to how the rest of the world does business. This is a space to work where our contributions can have a huge downstream impact on critical issues such as climate. It's a space that looks unsexy to some, and we love it.
For more about us, see how we work: http://bellawatt.com/work
Now, we need help. We’re looking for a full-stack polyglot that can both lead a project and occasionally jump into someone else’s. Would you describe yourself as:
- Self-starter. Maybe even a freelancer, contractor, or entrepreneur previously. You love to solve problems using software and build lasting products. You're able to take a large project and break it down into workable chunks. You don't wait for perfect tickets before starting.
- Fantastic communicator. You know how to articulate your reasons for or against critical decisions, and are capable of disagreeing and committing. You equally enjoy giving feedback and receiving advice for both soft and hard skills.
- Full-stack polyglot programmer. You don't have to be an expert in any one language, but you are not afraid of getting your hands dirty in RoR, PHP Laravel, React, or Docker. You believe in using the right tool for the job, not just using the latest hot trend.
- Easy-going individual. A small company isn't always a stress-free environment, but we're not curing brain cancer here. If you feel the same way, you'll get along with us splendidly.
In short, we are excited to have a new team member, not a new employee.
We won’t waste your time. Our interview process is straightforward:
- Email us. If we don’t think you’re the right fit, we’ll tell you right away.
- Informal Skype interview where we get to know each other and discuss each other’s expectations. If we like you, we’ll ask you for a writing sample.
- Technical Interview Part 1. We’ll want you to show us two examples of something you’ve built - something you’re proud of, and something you’ve struggled with. We don’t pretend to breeze through our days coding, and neither should you. We respect your time and don’t believe in making you do homework.
- Technical Interview Part 2 (about a week after Part 1). We’ll architect and plan a brand new product together dynamically. We’ll send you an excel spreadsheet that we’d like to app-ify, and you’ll lead the process as if we’re building it out together over the next year.
- If we like you, we’ll send you an offer.
Eugene and Brian
Please ensure you meet geographic and skills requirements before applying.