Lead development and manage the lifecycle of Astra’s API.
Astra is an automation platform for the movement of money. We help make your financial life simpler, by empowering you with automated money management tools. Whether you are a consumer or small business, you get to spend less time managing your finances and put more money to work because we help put your cash flow on autopilot.
The Astra API is central to how our service executes financial automation for our users. We empower engineers on our team to contribute to the full spectrum of product development, from strategy to shipping, operations, and beyond. Since our service interacts with our users’ money, we have a high bar for performance with matching expectations for problem-solving and high-quality code.
We are looking to add a founding team member to lead our Backend development efforts. As one of the first Astra hires, you will be given competitive salary and equity compensation.
- Design, build, and maintain a Python API for our mobile and web apps to consume
- Design, build, and maintain NoSQL and SQL databases
- Enhance and maintain Google Cloud infrastructure
- Build and maintain important third-party integrations
- Collaborate with our frontend engineers to optimize frontend/backend efficiency
- Debug production issues in concert with user support
- Improve engineering standards, tooling, and proces
You may be fit for this role if you:
- Enjoy and have experience building APIs
- Love solving complex problems
- Write high-quality code
- Uphold best practices in engineering, security, and design
- Are an effective communicator and like working in a collaborative environment
- Have an entrepreneurial spirit
- 5+ years of backend engineering experience
- Python experience
- APIs - Authentication, REST, JSON
- Databases/Caches - Google Datastore, MemCache, Redis
- DevOps - Google Cloud Platform (App Engine), scaling, logging, error collecting
- Queues - Google Cloud Tasks, Amazon SQS or similar
- Experience with Search - ElasticSearch, Algolia
- Email / Messaging - SendGrid, Twilio
- Interest in researching and implementing AI/ML tools
What it’s like to work at Astra:
Astra is a next-generation financial services company focused on providing intelligent and automated solutions to individuals and businesses for the management of their money. We are solving the difficult problems of cash flow management with automation and we are seeking bright, motivated team members to help us build that future. We are a small but effective team based in SF with resources in LA and SV but culturally are remote first. We hire the right people regardless of location.
We are committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. We believe that such an environment advances long-term professional growth, creates a robust business, and supports our mission of making your financial life simple and automated. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye single to fostering an inclusive environment that recognizes the contributions of all. We’ve worked hard to build an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and the opportunity for professional growth. As part of the Astra team, your voice will be heard, your contributions will matter, and your unique background and experiences will be celebrated.
Astra is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We welcome all candidates without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, disability, genetic information, status as a protected veteran, or any other protected characteristic. We prohibit discrimination of any kind and will also consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local law.
Our people are everything, our core values are real, and our mission is ambitious. Join us!