Alma is a cloud-based student information system (SIS). Our Engineering Team is small and mission-driven. This team plays a crucial role in achieving the goals set out in empowering educators in our company strategy.
At Alma, we help improve student education. Our focus is on the whole student - we build tools that ultimately help enrich both their intellectual and emotional growth. We do this by empowering the greatest learning resource that students have at school: educators. Our product designs are based on research done at schools.
The culture here at Alma is something we’re incredibly proud of. In addition to a generous base salary, all Alma team members are fully remote or voluntarily hybrid in Portland, enjoy a flexible schedule, receive health benefits, are set up with a retirement account, and are expected to take advantage of a significant amount of paid time off and paid holidays.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion are fundamental to the success of Alma. We want to infuse DEI in every way possible and in all that we do. We strive to create a transparent environment where all team members around the world feel that their voices are heard and welcomed. We also aim to be a place where people can show up as their full selves each day and contribute their best.
Objectives of this Role
- Work across the full stack, building highly scalable distributed solutions that enable positive user experiences and measurable business growth
- Develop new features and infrastructure development in support of rapidly emerging business and project requirements
- Assume leadership of new projects from conceptualization to deployment
- Ensure application performance, uptime, and scale, maintaining high standards of code quality and thoughtful application design
- Work with agile development methodologies, adhering to best practices and pursuing continued learning opportunities
Daily and Monthly Responsibilities
- Participate in all aspects of agile software development including design, implementation, and deployment
- Architect and provide guidance on building end-to-end systems optimized for speed and scale
- Engage with inspiring designers and front end engineers, and collaborate with leading back end engineers as we create reliable APIs
- Collaborate across time zones via Slack, GitHub comments, documents, and frequent video conferences
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology, or engineering
- 5+ years of development experience
- Experience working in an LNMP environment
- Experience with PHP or similar backend languages
- Comfortable working with Linux and Nginx
- Understanding of RESTful API endpoints
- NoSQL experience, MongoDB experience
- Knowledge of AWS tools such as DMA, Batch
- Knowledge of Educational/Student Information Systems
- Interest in learning new tools, languages, workflows, and philosophies to grow
- Professional certifications
Note To Candidates
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. We would encourage you to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of our qualifications described.