Ad Hoc Labs are the makers of Firewall, Dialed, and Burner, one of the top-grossing independent apps in the world. Our mission is to build best-in-class software products that empower our millions of customers with better control of their privacy, communications, and identity, and to do it as a self-sustaining company whose culture and practices we can be proud of.
Our bestselling app Burner has been the category leader in virtual phone number apps for more than five years, serving millions of consumers with a way to generate additional phone numbers when needed, keep them indefinitely or use them only temporarily, and delete them when finished – all without the hassle of wireless carriers or contracts. Burner was named a top 50 app by TIME and has been covered extensively in the press, including the New York Times who said “a thin layer of privacy between yourself and the rest of the world, when needed, is hard to put a price on”.
Ad Hoc Labs is looking for a talented Product Designer. You will be a core part of a small, growth-oriented product and engineering team that improves and develops new features for the Burner application. From proposing initial concepts to ensuring we ship high quality, highly usable features, you'll be responsible for making and iterating on the products that hundreds of thousands of people use every day. You contribute to all aspects of product design and execution, including understanding the complex needs of our users, ideating, designing, and pitching new features (visual design, interaction design, and prototyping), conducting usability testing, and communicating and collaborating with stakeholders across the company. Ultimately you will be responsible for distilling complex problems into simple, intuitive designs in a great user experience.
- Primary owner for the design and user experience of the Burner family of mobile apps, web, developer, and partner experiences
- Deeply understand our users and their needs and behaviors using approaches ranging from interviews and concept tests to review of product usage data
- Refine designs from initial concepts to high-fidelity, production-ready screens through a process including user flow mapping, wireframing, visual design, interaction design, prototyping, and specification annotating
- Conceive, design and prototype simple and intuitive app experiences; pitch them directly to key leaders and stakeholders in the company
- Contribute to all stages of the design process from user research to wireframes and shipping the product
- Communicate design goals and specifications to the teams responsible for building them and partner closely through the process to delivery
- Work closely with the product team and co-founders to champion design-oriented thinking throughout the company
What we're looking for:
- 2+ years of experience designing mobile applications using mobile and material design patterns (iOS and Android)
- Demonstrated passion for learning the latest iOS and Android design principles and guidelines
- A strong orientation to research, validation and experimentation as a key part of the design life-cycle
- A portfolio showcasing your work demonstrating strong design and process storytelling skills
- Proficiency in Figma or Sketch preferred for a design tool, as well as familiarity with tools like Jira and Zeplin for collaboration with engineering
- Experimental nature
- A willingness and passion for trying new processes and tools
- Experience collaborating closely with engineers to ship mobile applications
- Technical insight on iOS or Android platforms
- Ability to prototype interactive mobile experiences
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
What we offer you:
- Meaningful work on an innovative and growing set of products
- Collaborative, cross-functional work culture with an emphasis on autonomy and communication
- Health and Dental coverage for employees, dependents & domestic partners
- Investment in career development, including training, conferences, and online learning resources
Ad Hoc Labs, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. We seek to employ the most qualified person in every job. Ad Hoc Labs, Inc. does not discriminate on the basis of sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, age, color, race, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical & mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, military and veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law. Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws.