Who we are:
Pixel Union and Out of the Sandbox are leading designers of premium themes and apps for the Shopify ecommerce platform. We're focused on helping our merchants — entrepreneurs, innovators, brands, and businesses large and small — succeed by providing them with the world's best digital products, backed by exceptional customer support.
We are a team of 90+ across all departments, with headquarters in Victoria, BC, and remote team members distributed across Canada and beyond.
About the role:
Pixel Union is looking for three new developers to join our Agency team! We're searching for both Senior & Intermediate FE developers. Agency developers bring our custom projects to life, working closely with the design team to produce best-in-class digital experiences. We're looking for someone who has an eye for the little details that can make or break a stand-out UX. Our developers play an active role in projects, both internal and client-facing and help shape our coding standards and best practices so that we can continue to deliver the best quality code to our clients.
Success in these roles requires a high degree of flexibility and adaptability, a passion for both the practice and the principles of development, a deep passion for front-end development technologies, and a desire to work closely with designers and back end developers on the team to ensure every project lives up to Pixel Union's reputation for industry-leading quality.
All code at Pixel Union is peer-reviewed, and we look for developers who are able to clearly explain their technical choices and who like to work with others. We encourage consistent and readable code, with a focus on maintainability.
As a Pixel Union dev, you'll...
- Develop code for Pixel Union's custom Shopify themes
- Ensure the technical feasibility of UI/UX designs
- Integrate and collaborate with our other developers as project complexity dictates
- Ability and interest in learning new technologies and techniques
- Happy to align with shared coding standards, and eager to help shape future best practices
- Constantly seeking new ways to improve the development process, and able to share new knowledge with the team
- Be comfortable collaborating with a design team and providing input on proposed features
- Contribute to planning discussions
- Develop reusable code and libraries for future use
- Develop documentation for code standards, and workflows
You'll use your skills and experience in...
- Hands-on developing custom themes - extra points if you have experience developing themes on Shopify
- Version control (Git)
- Written and verbal communication and ability to accurately estimate tasks, and not afraid to flag issues early
- Strong problem-solving abilities and self-management
- Attention to detail when replicating design while maintaining development best practices
- Recognizing development patterns in order to write more efficient/functional code
- Managing multiple projects with strict deadlines
- Familiarity with design tools such as Figma, InVision, Zeppelin
- Demonstrated commitment to personal and professional growth
- Sharing your passion about technology
If you have this experience, that's a huge plus!
- Desire to learn the Liquid (Shopify) templating language and master the Shopify & Shopify Plus platform
- Experience working in an agency setting
Please include a cover letter with your application - we'd love to better understand your background and experiences. We value diverse perspectives and believe that skills are transferable!
We are a company built on creativity, teamwork, and employee well-being. We trust our team members and encourage them to design their work schedules so that they can get the most out of their day. We value challenging ourselves and others to ask questions that uncover better solutions for the future, and we get joy from being around fun, communication-focused folks who want to make a difference at their work!
Some of our perks include:
- Flexible work schedule and remote-friendly culture and systems
- Providing company hardware and software
- Competitive base salary
- Opportunity for growth as the company grows
- Exposure and learning across teams and services
- Health benefits and RRSP matching
- Company-sponsored wellness allowance
- Generous vacation policy
We bring passion and energy to our work, and believe that work should be rewarding, interesting, and come at a sustainable pace. Our team members can be found across Canada, the U.S. and the UK, and are well-adapted to working from home and the remote lifestyle. As long as you have a strong internet connection, you'll be all set to join this dynamic team!
We thank all who show interest. Only those shortlisted will be contacted.