Time zones: EST (UTC -5)
, CST (UTC -6)
, MST (UTC -7)
, PST (UTC -8)
, AKST (UTC -9)
, HST (UTC -10)
Who We Are
Murmuration is a nonprofit organization focused on leveraging civic engagement to drive greater equity. We provide sophisticated tools, data, strategic guidance, and programmatic support to help our partner organizations increase civic engagement and marshal support to drive change at the community level. Our best-in-class data and easy-to-use tools have been used by hundreds of organizations to make informed decisions about who they need to reach and how to achieve and sustain impact – and to put those decisions into action.
Note: At Murmuration, we are committed to becoming an even more diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace. To this end, all staff members are expected to actively participate in DEI (diversity, equity, inclusion) programming.
About the Position
We are looking for an innovative Data Engineer who will build and support key components within our data infrastructure with a specific focus on the data pipelines that power our products. This individual will work within our Data Engineering team, partnering with Data Managers and Data Scientists to manage the ongoing delivery of our key data sets for our analytical and product use cases. This individual must be able to understand data requirements and will also be responsible for providing continuous refinement and improvements to our data pipelines. The Data Team is a highly collaborative, friendly, and hard-working group, and we are looking for team members who embody those values.
The Data Engineer will report to our Senior Data Engineer.
What You’ll Do:
- Design, develop, and maintain data pipelines using tools and technologies, such as Dagster and Airflow for orchestration, and Snowflake, AWS, and MongoDB for datastores;
- Ensure pipelines are scalable, reliable, and fault-tolerant;
- Be responsible for managing data from various sources, such as third party data providers, data collected, or data created internally;
- Ensure data is ingested in a timely and efficient manner, with processes to manage data quality and integrity;
- Transform and cleanse raw data into a structured and usable format;
- Implement monitoring and alerting processes to detect, communicate, and address issues in data pipelines;
- Implement data quality checks and validation processes to ensure data accuracy, completeness, and consistency;
- Continuously optimize data pipelines for better performance and cost efficiency;
- Maintain comprehensive and up-to-date documentation for data pipelines, including data lineage, dependencies, and configurations;
- Ensure documentation is up-to-date and accessible to team members;
- Provide support for data-related issues, including investigating and resolving pipeline failures;
- Respond to ad-hoc data requests and troubleshoot data-related problems;
- Collaborate with data scientists, analysts, and other stakeholders to understand their data requirements and deliver data in a usable format; and
- Work closely with other data engineers to align data pipelines with overall data architecture strategies.
What You Should Have:
- Education and/or experience in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or relevant field;
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience working with large scale databases/cloud databases using SQL and Python;
- Strong organizational and analytical abilities;
- Strong problem-solving skills;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Familiarity with Data Orchestration Tools (Dagster, Airflow);
- Familiarity with Snowflake and AWS (primarily S3, EC2, ECS);
- Experience working flexibly within smaller teams; and
- Practical knowledge of software development lifecycle (SDLC).
What You Could Have:
- Familiarity with Voter File Data;
- Experience with or interest in political data; and
- Experience within a support team providing technical support to other data functions (e.g., Data Scientists, Data Managers, etc.)
Talented Data Engineers come from all walks of life and careers. If you are passionate about civic engagement and technology, please apply, even if you do not check every box!
Location and Compensation
The Data Engineer is a full-time, salaried position with a comprehensive benefits package. It is based anywhere in the U.S. The salary range for this position is $100,000 - $130,000 and is commensurate with experience.
Our Culture of Care
We work hard to create a culture of care to ensure that our staff are best equipped to lead happy, healthy, and balanced lives. To that end, we offer a comprehensive benefits package which includes:
- Health, vision, and dental insurance with 100% of premiums covered for you and qualifying family members;
- Retirement benefits with a 4% employer match;
- A flexible unlimited PTO plan;
- Generous paid parental leave;
- Pre-tax commuter benefits;
- A company laptop;
- A flexible remote work environment;
- A home office setup stipend for all new employees;
- Monthly reimbursement for remote work expenses;
- A yearly professional development fund;
- Mental health and wellness benefits through Calm and Better Help; and
- Yearly in-person staff retreats; and
- A welcoming culture that celebrates diversity, equity, and inclusion.
An Equal-Opportunity Employer with a Commitment to Diversity
Murmuration is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and as an organization committed to diversity and the perspective of all voices, we consider applicants equally of race, gender, color, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, disability, political affiliation and national origin. We reasonably accommodate staff members and/or applicants with disabilities, provided they are otherwise able to perform the essential functions of the job.