Maharishi Foundation International
(MFI) is a US-registered non-profit that supports the development of new technologies and outreach opportunities for the worldwide Transcendental Meditation® (TM®) organisations. Over the past 60 years, more than 10 million people worldwide have learned the TM technique through personal instruction by tens of thousands of certified teachers.
MFI is a growing, fully remote team of nearly 50 people, located around the globe but mainly in North America and Europe. As an organisation we are committed to leveraging modern technology and progressive management practices to make the TM technique and its related programmes more available to people everywhere.
We favor a healthy and balanced work environment with opportunities for personal development.
We are looking for a senior front-end engineer with a proven track record of developing React Native mobile applications. As we are a small but growing team, you will be responsible for the maintenance and support of existing app features as well as planning and scoping new feature additions and iterations.
You will be working closely with our team to launch a meditation and lifestyle application. Applicants should have a proven track record working on large scale, consumer-facing products with complex and intuitive UX/UI. Applicants should be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, where each individual has a lot of influence and responsibility to deliver. You will play a vital role in the development and release of this application. There is an existing global community keenly awaiting the launch of this application, so the app will have an immediate, engaged user base.
The AWS backend is built using a serverless approach using AppSync (GraphQL), DynamoDB, Cognito and Lambda. Local development and stack deployment is managed using the Serverless framework, and CI pipelines have been implemented using CircleCI and Bitrise. Experience with any of these is a big plus.
You are passionate about creating beautiful, modern, and intuitive user interfaces on mobile devices. You are comfortable with cross platform development (for iOS and Android), and enjoy solving the challenges that come with such a codebase. You understand API architecture, and can take a data model and translate it into reusable and flexible components. You enjoy shipping clean, readable and reusable code. You are comfortable working on a distributed team spread across timezones and cultures. You are excited to use technology to have a positive impact in the world as a whole, and in an intimate way for each individual.
- Take over responsibility for the front-end development and maintenance, and work with our team to continue testing and releasing features
- Ensure the performance, quality, and responsiveness of the application
- Collaborate with the engineering and design teams, contribute to the definition of specifications for new features, and own the development of those features
- Guide the team regarding constraints and best practices in a mobile environment
- Proactively identify and solve bottlenecks; fix bugs and performance issues
- Maintain code quality, organization and automatization
- Ensure testing strategy is followed within the team - for unit and integration tests
Skills and Qualifications
- Proven experience in mobile app development
- Strong experience with React and React Native
- Strong experience on either IOS or Android native development
- Experience with Typescript, Node.js, GraphQL and REST
- Proficient with code versioning tools (Git)
- Basic understanding of using CI to deploy apps (we use Bitrise)
- Attention to detail to implement and bring designs to life using animations (we use Animated and Reanimated in some places)
- Understanding of React Native limitations in native mobile environments
- Understanding of code signing for iOS and Android (we use Fastlane)
- Good understanding of best practices for mobile apps, like Material Design and Human Interface Guidelines
- 5+ years of testing and deploying code in a production environment
- Experience working in a global non-profit, working with a remote team or in a multinational organization preferred
- Fluency in English (written and verbal)
If you are passionate about this work but do not have all of the skills listed we are still interested in speaking with you and encourage you to apply!
Pay and benefits
Our pay levels are set according to a formula that combines above-median market rate data for the role (we use 55th percentile of New York market rate for this role, based on Payscale
data) adjusted for your local cost of living based on Numbeo
data. For Engineering roles, we pay the mid-point between unadjusted New York market rate and your locally adjusted formula rate.
We take the issue of equitable pay very seriously, and we apply our pay formula to all workers who work 80% or more of full time hours with us.
Diversity and inclusion
We care about diversity - we strive to ensure all of our team feel included and can bring their whole selves to work but we also know that this work is never ‘done’ or complete, and that we can always improve.
Our team is fully remote, living and working across 20 countries across the world, and we’d love to hear how you can add to our special culture at MFI.