Time zones: EST (UTC -5)
, CST (UTC -6)
, MST (UTC -7)
, PST (UTC -8)
Job type: Full-time, Employee or Contract
Location: Remote, Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship by the Company. Workers must be located in the continental U.S.
Experience Level: Senior/Lead
Company size: <10 employees
TL;DR: If you’re an experienced software developer (7+ years experience), looking to take on a leadership role as a part of a small team that’s more personal and dynamic than large firms and provides remote work with schedule flexibility, read on.
If you’re burnt out by employers treating you like a cog in a machine and looking to be a part of a smaller team where your decisions can help shape the future of the company, we might be a good choice for you.
Line 45 is a small company focused on delivering high quality and elegant solutions that make people’s lives easier. We largely focus on software in complex business environments. Often, this means working on applications in scientific, natural resource and regulatory domains. The bulk of our work focuses on business and government web applications used to track mission-critical data. Additionally, we often work on projects that have geospatial technologies because connecting technology to the real world makes it more relatable and informative. We believe in hiring people that share a passion for collaboration, a strong sense of integrity, and a sense of empathy toward our customers and teammates. We’re looking for someone who contributes fresh ideas, questions assumptions, has good communication skills and is a team oriented worker.
Our company does our best to treat our employees as we would like to be treated. We provide all employees with four weeks of paid vacation (no matter what level you’re at), flexible work schedules and everyone gets to work from home (or anywhere you choose in the Eastern to Pacific time zones). As a Michigan-based company, we offer regionally anchored pay rates (e.g. Grand Rapids, MI) and tend to be mid-curve. While we can’t pay the highest rates, we try our best to make sure people receive competitive wages and have a good work-life balance.
For this role you’ll be working on various client projects for Line 45. As a lead we’re looking for someone who has a passion for working with and motivating other developers, enjoys communicating with both technical and non-technical customers and who works with the team to formulate good processes and practices.
Working with leadership on the management of the development team; including developer mentorship, code reviews, annual reviews, priority and task management, setting team and individual expectations, and overall goals for success of the company.
- Design, develop, and steward various applications as part of Line 45 contracts and internal projects
- Work with the management and business development teams to develop project estimates, proposals, and work plans
- Write detailed technical documentation
- Assist in the hiring of new developers, including writing job requirements, technical interviews, and new hire onboarding
- At times, assist with other facets of the business. We’re a small team and all pitch in making sure the business is successful.
BA/BS degree in Computer Science, similar technical field of study or equivalent practical experience.
- 7+ years of experience with object-oriented programming.
- 3+ years of experience with C#/.NET
- 3+ years working as a project or team lead
- Experience with relational/SQL databases.
- Experience working in full-stack web application development.
- Solid communication and team management skills
MS degree in Computer Science, similar technical field of study or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience with the Vue.js framework
- Experience with Python
- Experience working with mapping libraries such as OpenLayers, Leaflet or Mapbox.
- Experience with GIS/Geospatial tools like ArcGIS, QGIS, or PostGIS
- Experience with automated testing and CI/CD tools.
- Experience with hiring new developers and performing technical interviews
- 3+ years working in consulting
Job Details & Compensation:
Line 45 is a 100% remote company. Working remotely, we look for excellent communication skills and intrinsically motivated employees. We also try to do our part to support our staff by offering office related reimbursements, schedule flexibility, and a strong insurance package. We can’t compete with big tech companies on pay. Instead our goal is to create a more personal environment where you have the time and flexibility to have a life outside of work, but are excited to come to work each week. We seek opportunities to challenge our team and encourage personal growth. We are a “we succeed as a team” organization and that’s hard to quantify in compensation.
For the things we can quantify, here are our more tangible benefits:
- Annual Salary: our salaries are based on comparable roles at companies located in mid-sized cities around the Great Lakes region (for example: Grand Rapids, MI; Duluth, MN). Our anticipated range is $100-135k/year, depending on skills and experience.
- 4 weeks vacation time
- Sick time as needed
- 9 Holidays + Your Birthday
- Flexible schedule outside of required meetings
- Office equipment reimbursement budget, up to $1,000 annually (company computer will be provided outside of this reimbursement)
- Coworking space stipend
- Cell phone stipend
- Health/Vision/Dental Insurance
- Health savings account
- Basic life insurance
- Short term disability insurance
- Long term disability insurance
We try to interview people the way we would want to be interviewed. Our interviews are really conversations about whether candidates are a good fit for us and whether Line 45 is a good fit for candidates. Our interviews vary based on the role we’re trying to fill and may include both technical and behavioral questions. Our team is a remote work team and we perform interviews in the same manner we will work together, via video call.
The process we follow is described below:
- If applying through a hiring platform, follow their standard practices.
- You may also submit your resume & cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In your cover letter, please let us know what attracted you to this position/company and anything special you feel you’d bring to the team.
- We will let you know that we received your application
- We will select a set of candidates who we will interview. We’ll let you know whether we will be seeking an interview and will coordinate with you to schedule the interview.
- Our top candidates may be interviewed more than once and may be asked to perform a technical interview and/or small demonstration task/project later in the process (for technical openings). Note: If we request candidates complete a demonstration project, we will compensate you for your time.
If you have any questions, please let us know. We’ll respond the best we can, depending on the volume of applicants.