Kin, a workplace software company, is seeking a full-time back-end Software Engineer with 3-6 years of professional experience to join our remote team. Our starting salary for this position is between $80,000 - $95,000/year. To qualify, you must be based in the United States, and be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident of the U.S.
We are a diverse workplace by design and welcome people of all backgrounds to apply for this position. This is important to us, as it should be for anyone interested in joining our team. Our workplace is better because of the variety of people who work here, and we intentionally cultivate an environment where every team member can feel included, respected and embraced.
This position will be working on our Enterprise Workplace team, which builds custom software to help companies with tens of thousands of employees communicate all the ways employees are compensated — from salary, to healthcare, to retirement savings.
Who We Are
Kin is a 100% remote workplace software company based in the United States. Our mission is to improve the employee experience at organizations of all sizes by helping employees make informed decisions about their future — from health and money, to careers and feedback.
We do this in a couple of ways. For small companies, we provide our flagship product, KinHR, to manage employee data, new hire onboarding, and employee well being. For enterprise-scale companies (for which this job opening is for), we build custom web applications that help hundreds of thousands of employees make financial decisions about their future.
We know that by helping organizations become more desirable places to work, that we'll not only be improving retention and profitability, but that we're helping people everywhere get more out of life than just work.
Who You Are
Communication is key to our team's success and you should be comfortable expressing your ideas and needs clearly, both verbally and in writing. Our developers work and communicate closely with a diverse group of people, and must be able to thoughtfully explain technical concepts to non-technical people.
As this is a 100% remote position, you will need to have a comfortable, quiet, and distraction-free work environment with a stable internet connection. You also must be willing to work within our core business hours of 9 AM - 5 PM Central Time, with some flexibility based on location.
Your Typical Week
As a software engineer on our Enterprise Workplace team, here are some things you might do in a typical week:
- Spend an afternoon heads down writing code for a new feature or squashing bugs in one of our existing client applications.
- Flex your SQL muscles to create a complex SQL query from scratch that helps our client investigate a data issue or answer some detailed questions about how their application is being used.
- Join a group video conversation with a client team to help them scope out a new feature or arrive at a possible solution for a business goal they have.
- Write a friendly and detailed message in Basecamp to provide release notes, testing instructions, and technical details for a new application as it moves into the client QA phase.
- Streamline a recurring data import task into an automated and scheduled SSIS data import process to knock a manual task off of our list of regular to-dos.
- Jump in a video chat with another developer on the team to put heads together and get to the bottom of an intermittent issue they've been trying to track down, or to simply provide a second set of eyes on some new code before submitting a pull request.
- Migrate a completed set of features and updates out to production using our Jenkins and Octopus deployment pipeline, and celebrating the release with the team!
All of our web developers have solid experience using the following technologies:
- .NET / C# / MVC / Web API and Unit Testing in Visual Studio
- SQL (Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, SSIS Integration Services and Redgate Data Tools)
- HTML/CSS and .NET Razor Views
- Design patterns such as service-repository pattern and dependency injection
- Window Server Administration using IIS (Windows Tasks, Powershell scripts, etc.)
- Continuous integration systems and automated builds
In addition to being a pretty cool place to work, we also offer an excellent benefits package!
- We pay 50% of health, dental and vision insurance
- We pay 100% of life insurance, long and short term disability
- We have an outstanding PTO policy which includes vacation time, sick time, community outreach/volunteering days, company holidays including a winter break at the end of December, bereavement leave, and parental leave
- We offer time and budget for personal growth
- We offer a 401K retirement plan with employer matched contributions
++++ Staffing and outsourcing agencies will not get a response from us ++++