Time zones: EST (UTC -5)
, CST (UTC -6)
, MST (UTC -7)
, PST (UTC -8)
, AKST (UTC -9)
, HST (UTC -10)
We are looking for someone who is passionate and ready to tackle some of the most meaningful problems in our organization and industry, including designing and building common schemas, APIs, and implementing complex parsing algorithms. We’re especially interested in a candidate who can help provide technical leadership as we transition to the next phase of our systems.
IM’s engineering team is responsible for developing a variety of systems, including:
- A custom-built content management system that allows us to export our openly-licensed K-12 mathematics curriculum in a variety of formats.
- Multiple websites that provide access to the curriculum.
- Multiple websites that provide customers and contractors access to information about IM’s professional learning services.
IM’s engineering team primarily uses:
- Ruby on Rails for application development
- Rspec and Capybara for testing and specs
- GitHub for version control
- CircleCI for CI
- Heroku for server environments
- AWS S3 for file storage
- PrinceXML for PDF generation
- Shortcut for project management support
- Salesforce for CRM data
While experience with the above systems is a plus, we’re also excited to have candidates that can bring experience and expertise using technologies not in our current stack.
Position Type: Full-Time
Location: Remote – United States only
Job Family: Manager/Specialist
Travel Requirements: Infrequent
Essential Functions/Key Responsibilities
As a senior software engineer at Illustrative Mathematics, you will be responsible for pushing our technology forward to meet our user’s and organization’s current and future needs. You will take on legacy problems and implement concrete solutions. You will also be responsible for proactively finding the next set of issues that need to be solved to enable future growth.
- Act as a hands-on technical leader for the team
- Architect, develop, and deliver performant solutions and features
- Identify, scope, and lead large technical problems
- Participate in code reviews
- Mentor other engineers
- 7+ years of experience building complex web applications in Ruby on Rails
- Experience writing and consuming APIs (RESTful and/or GraphQL)
- Experience refactoring and rebuilding systems; can break large problems down into actionable, iterative phases.
- Strong track record of writing tests
- Experience with long-running (in hours) background jobs
- Tooling and CI/CD experience
Compensation and Benefits
In alignment with our commitment to equity in practice and policy, Illustrative Mathematics is committed to equity and transparency for our team and offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and education. This position is exempt. The annual salary range for this position is $130,000 - $150,000.
IM also offers employees a comprehensive group health benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision, and an employer-sponsored 403b plan with an employer match up to 4% of regular earnings.