Gridium's mission is to hasten the transition to a no-carbon economy. Our software helps people run commercial buildings better, at lower cost and with less energy. Gridium is looking for a backend software engineer to help us bring deep efficiency to the built environment, which is responsible for 40% of the world's energy use.
We are looking for a US-based software engineer with strong Python experience to develop and scale our data ingestion platform. We ingest the energy and cost data for thousands of buildings from APIs, websites, and other sources. Our stack lives on AWS and includes Python, Aurora (Postgres), Elasticsearch / Kibana, and Selenium. We use flake8, black, and mypy to help us write clean, consistent Python code.
In this role you will:
- Dive into the details using Kibana logs, SQL queries, or new tools to diagnose issues with missing or incorrect data, then find and fix the root cause.
- Write technical specifications for new Python Selenium web scrapers and review code from others to ensure quality and consistency.
- Write tools, templates, and documentation to simplify and improve our data ingestion processes.
Gridium is a venture-backed SaaS application provider with a mission to bring cost-effective energy savings to commercial real estate. We are growing faster than ever due to increasing demand for real energy solutions.
We have been an all-remote company since our founding, and we love the fact that remote work gives us flexibility to balance our roles as employees, parents, family members, or however else we round out our time.
Of course, spending time face-to-face is important, so every three months we pick a city and meet up for several days of highly productive and highly fun planning and doing.
We have a casual, collaborative work environment where everyone's ideas matter. Since creative, enthusiastic employees are the basis for our success, we take great care in how we attract, hire, and support our employees.
And of course
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Candidates must reside in the United States and have the legal right to work in the United States.
You must have at least 3 years of experience as a member of a professional software development team. This is not an entry-level position.
You should be self-directed, responsible, and committed to delivering efficient, well-documented, and well-tested code. You should be comfortable analyzing product requirements to produce technical specifications that go beyond coding to cover testing, monitoring, and future maintainability. We need a problem solver who can ask good questions and collaborate effectively with teammates.
- Drive to fully own the data ingestion process, including developing general solutions and improving internal tools.
- Strong experience with Python, with an interest in writing clean, readable code.
- Ability to effectively manage your time and communicate in an all-remote environment
- Enthusiasm for regular expressions, PDF parsing, and getting the details right.
- Strong debugging skills and ability to trace issues across multiple systems.
- Interest in wearing multiple hats and working on a broad range of problems as a member of a small team in a fast-moving environment.
- Excellent English communication skills.
The position comes with salary, stock options, 401(k) match, a great health plan, vision, dental, generous parental leave, and a flexible vacation policy — we want you to take the time off you need so that you are happy and productive.