Our Platform Engineering team is looking for a Senior Database Administrator to help secure, manage and maintain a highly performant transactional database currently serving several thousand queries per second. Our database tech stack also involves Time Series databases that address specific needs. You will help scale our databases with database management strategies that support the needs of our existing customers and help fuel future growth.
Fleetio is a modern software platform that helps thousands of organizations worldwide manage their fleet operations. Transportation technology is a hot market and we’re leading the charge, with raving fans and new customers signing up daily. We raised a $21M Series B in late 2020 and are on an exciting trajectory as a company.
This is a remote opportunity and is open to candidates in the United States, Canada, or Mexico.
More about Fleetio
What you'll be doing
As a Senior Database Administrator on Fleetio’s Platform Engineering team, you will:
- Monitor database performance and optimize instance types and configuration as necessary
- Partner with our Site Reliability team to identify database-related performance bottlenecks and address them proactively
- Own database capacity planning and perform database upgrades
- Own database-specific portion of the disaster recovery plan and execution
- Assist in shaping and implementing future data access and pipeline options for our customers
- Manage backups and pre-production databases used by different departments
- Recommend and help implement scalable data models and appropriate data normalization techniques
- Work with security professionals to configure and optimize cloud infrastructure for high security
- Share your expertise and help product engineers learn database-related concepts and best practices, including providing feedback via code reviews
- Engage with Product Engineers on issues that require fixes in application code
- Document artifacts related to database infrastructure and operations (via Diagrams, Text, etc.)
What's in it for you
- Be a part of an incredible team of “A” players who go above and beyond to make Fleetio a successful company. You will build software used by people all around the world. So many different types of companies and organizations operate a fleet daily, and Fleetio is a good fit for most of them (it’s a huge market).
- Work remotely (within the United States, Canada, or Mexico) or at our Birmingham, AL HQ. Over 80% of our Engineering Team works remotely (including our CTO), and we have promoted a strong remote working culture since the beginning (2012).
- We place great emphasis on work/life balance. We have families and hobbies and know you do, too.
Our Engineering and Product teams are structured as autonomous tribes that execute within one focal area toward a defined product vision. We're hardcore believers in easy-to-use software, and our main goal as Product Engineers is to quickly and continuously deliver meaningful value to our customers. Our platform engineering team has optimized our CI/CD tools and processes to easily get code into our production environments, resulting in an average of 40 deploys per week. See what our team has to say about how we work in their own words here
. You can also learn about the interview process here
- 5+ years of professional experience as a DBA
- Proven experience managing large and complex Postgres databases (i.e, Amazon Aurora, Amazon RDS) and database clusters on AWS
- Highly skilled in SQL programming
- Proficient in tuning databases for performance, availability, durability, integrity, security and scalability
- Experience managing failover and disaster recovery procedures for databases
- Excellent analyzing, troubleshooting and diagnosing skills to help identify bottlenecks
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Be sure to mention “coffee” in your application so we know you actually read this
Considered a plus
- Experience with ETL or ELT tools & techniques
- Good understanding and knowledge of other big data technologies such as TimescaleDB, Snowflake, BigQuery
- You know a thing or two about the Fleet management industry
- 100% health/dental coverage (50% coverage for family)
- Vision insurance
- Incentive stock options
- 401(k) match of 4%
- PTO - 4 weeks
- 8 company holidays + 2 floating holidays
- Parental and bonding leave
- Dependent care and medical FSA
- Short and long term disability
- Community service funds
- Professional development funds
- Health and wellness initiatives
- Mac laptop + new hire equipment stipend
- Monthly catered lunches
- Fully stocked kitchen with tons of drinks & snacks
- Remote working friendly since 2012
For Non-U.S. based candidates, Fleetio offers a country-specific competitive benefits package.