Fair HQ is the first tech platform to help startups, scale-ups and VCs embed diversity & inclusion across their businesses and remove bias from their processes & behaviours. Some of our customers have called Fair HQ their "Head of D&I", which we find both rewarding & fitting. We're an early-stage startup backed by prominent London VCs and amazing tech founders.
We exist because the world we're living in today is not (yet) fair — someone's background & identity still influence how they're able to navigate the world of work. We're here to change that. Join us on our mission to create a truly meritocratic society. We're Fair (it's in the name!) — we won't judge you on your background, but on your passion, skills and experience.
About the role
As one of our first backend engineers, you'll be taking the lead in lots of exciting new developments at Fair HQ, all with the view to expanding value for our customers.
You'll act as an advocate of our API and core application knowledge. We have plenty of things for you to look forward to:
- Adding third-party integrations into our product
- Building many new endpoints on top of our analytics warehouse
- Enabling even more sophisticated D&I analytics & recommendations for our customers 🙌
- Laying the foundations for machine learning
You'll be working closely with our CTO Tracy, and the rest of our growing development team, as well as our designers, behavioural science team, product manager (who we're in the process of hiring) and our Founder & CEO Kate, who is currently leading the product.
We're a fully remote team working across Europe. We meet every 2 months in fabulous locations such as Lisbon, London or Amsterdam. In between, we enjoy the flexibility and focus time of working as a team remotely. And even when we're apart, we keep connected with regular chats, check-ins and remote team fun!
What you will be doing
- Contribute to building the technical vision behind Fair HQ, as well as a high performing engineering culture.
- Build on top of our custom-built backend.
- Work closely with everyone on the product team to come up with the best technical solutions to customer needs.
- Investigate and estimate the effort to build new features and help us prioritise them in product releases.
- Build new product features end-to-end → from the technical spec, infrastructure, and backend to unit tests.
- Collaborate with other developers, carry out code review and pair-programming.
- Monitor and improve the stability, performance & security of our platform.
Our Architecture - see the LINK
We currently use these frameworks, tools, and languages:
- Frontend: React/TypeScript, Redux
- Backend: Nest.js/Typescript
- Infrastructure: Google Cloud Platform, AWS S3, Render, Netlify, Auth0
- Database: PostgreSQL, BigQuery, Metabase, Sync
- Security: Sqreen
- Testing: Jest, Cypress
- Tracking tools: Bugsnag, Logtail
- Analytics: Python, SQL
- CI/CD over Github
We're still evolving our stack, and we'd love to incorporate any suggestions you may have.
What will help you to do the job well
- Product builder — you don't just build technology for the sake of it. You build excellent products that solve customers' real problems at scale. You find beauty in elegant infrastructure, but you can be fast & scrappy too when needed.
- Strategic thinker — you love connecting the dots and seeing the bigger picture. Solving complex problems at scale brings you satisfaction.
- Efficient executor — you make a plan, break things down into small chunks and execute it flawlessly and quickly while bringing other people on board. You always ruthlessly prioritise, focusing only on the high impact.
- Team player — you recognise when things are going well, and you're quick to spot blockers and jump to help or ask for support from others. You communicate and you never drop the ball! You're always thinking about your team - how you can help them deliver faster, accomplish better results, and do their best work.
- Fast learner — constantly learning new things brings you excitement and fulfilment. Rather than relying on hand-holding, you love to figure things out from scratch. You thrive in a fast-paced environment (i.e., a startup!), otherwise, you get bored.
What do we offer
- 💸 Salary is £75,000-95,000/year for UK based employees. The exact salary will be decided according to your experience, it is negotiable.
- 🚀 Employee stock options -z get a piece of the company success you help to create (after probation)
- 🐙 Flexible & remote working
- 💻 MacBook Pro
- 🎧 Remote home-working set up (using HOFY) or access to part-time hotdesking in your location (after probation, but can be agreed on earlier if needed)
- 🏝 30 days of holidays incl. UK bank holidays + plenty of paid leave options (see our full Holidays & paid time off policy )
- 🤓 Personal development plan: access to tools, books and people
- 🍝 Fascinating lunch & learns with experts in the industry
- 🌆 Team retreats in cool locations such as Lisbon, Amsterdam & Prague
- 🩺 Private health insurance or online GP service up to £35/month - (after probation)
- 💪 Other benefits tailored to your needs
- 🎁 Some surprise presents throughout the year
At Fair HQ, we're committed to hiring diversely. Having employees from diverse backgrounds brings a wealth of perspectives and experience to our team. We encourage members of underrepresented groups to apply to this role.