Time zones: EST (UTC -5)
, CST (UTC -6)
, MST (UTC -7)
, PST (UTC -8)
, HST (UTC -10)
LOCATION: Remote within the U.S.
Daily Kos is the nation’s largest liberal online political community, news organization, and activism hub. Powered by millions of highly engaged supporters, we’re building progressive power by connecting grassroots activists to hundreds of people-powered organizations and campaigns.
We are seeking a passionate Senior Infrastructure Engineer who will deliver new features in the Services team on a large Rails application. This person must be efficient, self-motivated, and capable of working with limited guidance.
Daily Kos is an exciting workplace! Our site is used by hundreds of thousands of people a day who care deeply about progressive politics and are working to affect real political change. We provide an extensive feature set that extends from blogging to activism and beyond, built on top of a modern tool chain that includes Nix, Varnish, Nginx, RDS/MySQL, PostgreSQL, and AWS. We have an energized team of great people with diverse backgrounds and skill sets. If you’re interested in a position that offers more than just a technical challenge, we’d love to hear from you.
Our offices are in Oakland, CA and Washington D.C., however, we are open to fully remote applicants.
- Build scalable high-quality backend services and productivity tools
- Proactively work to identify areas for performance gains including data and scaling challenges
- Partner with the engineering team in building best-in-class interface
- Work collaboratively with the QA team to deliver quality user experience
- Share on-call responsibilities with team
- Remain current on test, development, and deployment best practices
- Be a team player, share knowledge, and mentor other team members through pairing, feedback, and discussions, etc.
- 3+ years of experience developing ci/cd pipelines, debugging distributed systems, building and maintaining environments from local through production and building robust monitoring systems
- Solid knowledge and experience in data infrastructure
- Experience with AWS (or other major public cloud infrastructure) deployments, RDS, ElastiCache
- Experience with Terraform
- Production skills deploying Nix/NixOS systems at scale (preferred but not required)
- Exceptional operational troubleshooting capabilities
- Interest in working on monitoring systems for backend which is currently written in Ruby.
- Ability to thrive in a small team culture with lots of agency requiring strong self-discipline, time management, and strong communication skills
SALARY RANGE: $130,000 - $165,000
This position is a 40 hour/week, full-time exempt position and reports to the VP of Engineering. Candidates must be legally eligible to work in the United States. The position offers a flexible work environment, the ability to work remotely or from home, competitive salary, excellent benefits including: full medical, dental and vision benefits, 401K with a company match, remote worker stipend, professional development stipend, company-paid holidays, a generous vacation package, traumatic grief leave, as well as employer-paid parental/family leave. Our organizational commitment to personal growth and work-life balance reduces churn and encourages a very rewarding long term position.
At Daily Kos, we believe that the diversity of ideas, experiences, and cultures that our employees contribute to our organization help us be more effective activists, and we are proud to be an inclusive and equal opportunity workplace. We have a team of amazing people with different backgrounds and talents that are energized by the day’s news events, and people united by common cause. We’re a company that loves learning and supports growth and training for all our employees.
Women, people of color, and LGBTQ individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.