Join Cartwheel to help tackle the student mental health crisis.
Today, 1 in 5 children has a mental health condition, but the vast majority don't get treatment. Families are waiting months to see a provider—if they can even find one who takes insurance.
Schools are on the frontlines of this crisis: Students with mental health challenges miss 10 extra days of school per year, and up to 1 in 3 drop out in high school. Meanwhile, educators and school staff are burning out at record rates and struggling to manage a downward spiral in student behaviors, academic outcomes, and health crises.
But schools are also uniquely positioned to tackle this crisis: They're convenient and trusted spaces in the community, and educators and staff often have the most context on what's going on in a student's life. In the wake of the pandemic, schools finally have tens of billions of dollars in funding to reinforce mental health programs—and they're looking for help to do so.
Cartwheel is a seed-stage startup partnering with schools to transform student mental health.
We help every students access the timely, affordable, evidence-based support they deserve:
- We provide direct care to students via telehealth, including mental health assessments, therapy, and medication. With Cartwheel, families access care in days, not months.
- We help schools strengthen Multi-Tiered Systems of Support, from professional development for staff to educational programming for parents and families.
- We're committed to serving communities that have historically had the least access to quality mental health care, including families who are uninsured or covered by Medicaid.
Kids shouldn't just aspire to get out of bed and drag themselves to class. They should be able to experience joy. They deserve to envision and build a life they're excited to live. If you join Cartwheel, you'll help make this vision a reality for millions of students across the country.
We're looking for team-oriented and mission-driven Therapists to join our amazing care team of psychiatrists, therapists, and school health professionals
As a Therapist, you'll work directly with school staff, students, and families in our partner school districts to build stronger systems of mental health support.
Role type: Part-time to full-time (5-40 hrs/week)
Location: Up to 100% remote
Start date: August/September 2022
At Cartwheel, you'll have an unmatched provider experience
- Flexible and up to 100% remote role (5-40 hrs/week)
- Competitive compensationand benefits ($70-100K cash compensation for full-time Master's-level clinicians; $100-140K for full-time Doctorate-level clinicians)
- Meaningful equity ownership stake in Cartwheel Care for some roles
- Mission-driven work serving diverse and underserved student populations
- Team-based care model working in close collaboration with other mission-driven therapists, psychiatrists, and school health professionals
- Administrative support from our team so you can focus on what you do best
- Opportunities beyond clinical care, including recruiting and overseeing a team of Cartwheel clinicians and working closely with school districts on staff support, workshops, and other programming
- Provide excellent care, including mental health assessments and teletherapy, to middle and high school students in Cartwheel's partner school districts (typically 6-12 therapy sessions per student)
- Participate in case discussions with other Cartwheel team members
- Support students and families with transition to community mental health and primary care providers
- Build collaborative, trusted, and lasting relationships with school leadership, staff, students, and families. Meet regularly with school staff to discuss student mental health needs and develop strategies to improve school services.
- Help lead mental health workshops and other programming for staff and families
- Partner with school leadership on achieving their overall student mental health vision
- If interested, provide clinical supervision to other care team members
- Passion for working with schools on mental health
- Massachusetts license: PhD/PsyD clinical psychologist, LICSW, LCSW, LMFT, LMHC
- Experience with CBT, DBT, motivational interviewing, and/or behavioral activation
- Comfort working with middle and high school students
- Comfort with telehealth and short-term therapy models
- Excellent organization, communication, and teamwork skills
Nice to have
- Fluency in a second language (priority for Spanish, Portuguese, and Chinese)
- Experience working in a school-based setting
- Experience with worksheets and between-visit assignments
- Experience coordinating with health care providers, health systems, and social services
- Willingness to offer hours both during and after a typical school day
- Willingness to visit schools and meet with staff in-person occasionally during the year
- Competitive compensation ($70-100K cash compensation for full-time Master's-level clinicians; $100-140K for full-time Doctorate-level clinicians)
- Ability to work up to 100% remotely
- Meaningful equity ownership stake in a fast-growing company for some roles
- Full-time roles include excellent health insurance benefits and generous PTO
- Team-based work environment with mission-driven colleagues
Cartwheel is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We embrace diverse backgrounds and perspectives and an inclusive work environment. We're committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, disability status, or veteran status.