Time zones: EST (UTC -5)
, CST (UTC -6)
, MST (UTC -7)
, PST (UTC -8)
, AKST (UTC -9)
, HST (UTC -10)
Quick take: Axios is a growth-stage startup dedicated to providing trustworthy, award-winning news content in an audience-first format. We’re hiring a Senior Software Engineer to take the lead in developing important new products for our audience.
Why it matters: Our engineering team enables our mission of delivering the cleanest, smartest, most efficient and trustworthy content to our users. You will take a significant leadership role developing new products on our modern tech stack, working closely with your squad on product direction, and helping less experienced developers develop their skills around testing, accessibility, and documentation.
Go deeper: In this role, you will make an impact to Axios through the following responsibilities:
- Designing and implementing features that support new lines of business for Axios.
- Helping design scalable systems that will support the next phase of Axios’ growth.
- Writing clean, well-documented, and well-tested backend code, primarily in Go, and potentially some Python.
- Collaborating with your product squad to ensure we ship the excellent products on time
- Mentoring less experienced members of the team through pair-programming and empathetic code review
- Sharing knowledge by presenting at dev meetings and demoing to team members and stakeholders
- Staying up to date with industry trends and collaborating on best practices
The details: Ideal candidates will demonstrate, among other qualities, empathy, curiosity, self-awareness and a healthy sense of urgency. They’ll also embody an entrepreneurial spirit and passion for Axios’ mission, and preferably have many of the following skills:
- Experience building APIs
- Experience building web-scale applications
- Experience working with CI/CD pipelines and understanding best deployment practices
- Experience architecting and delivering significant systems with a team of engineers
- Proven ability to ship high quality, testable, and accessible code quickly
- Experience with GRPC, or a similar framework
- Experience in a frontend framework, such as React, Angular or Vue
- Experience working in and around AWS services
- Experience working with product designers
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
- Company equity
- Commuter and cell phone benefit
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
- Annual learning and development stipend
Additional pandemic-related benefits:
- One mental health day per quarter
- $100 monthly work-from-home stipend
- Company-sponsored access to Ginger coaching and mental health support
- OneMedical membership, including tele-health services
- Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
- Access to the Axios “Family Fund”, which was created to allow employees to request financial support when facing financial hardship or emergencies
- Class pass discount
- Virtual company-sponsored social events
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Axios is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Axios makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.