Active Theory is an award-winning, independent creative studio. We make some of the highest quality digital experiences for clients around the world.
We created and continue to develop Dreamwave, our ever evolving product for connecting people online via custom events and immersive 3D environments.
If any of our work or products resonate with you, please reach out.
Our backend team is a small, close knit department that develops, and maintains the back end framework used on all our projects. Backend developers work on a range of boundary pushing web projects alongside our team of WebGL developers, producers, 3d artists, UI developers, and designers.The backend developer at Active Theory will lead backend development, architecture, DevOps on a range of projects as well as Dreamwave product features. Additional duties may also include development on projects involving physical installations, web3 and native app development.
Plan technical approach on projects. Design, prototype, scope and develop backend components required on projects. Requirements may be custom and may vary significantly with each project based on particular creative execution and technical requirements.
Work closely with clients, integration partners, producers, developers, artists. Be able to communicate and explain technical concepts clearly and concisely. Plan and manage scope of technical solutions, ensure production services are delivered on time, performant, secure and reliable.
Reports to: Technical Director
Collaborates Most Closely With: Frontend and WebGL developers, Designers, 3D artists, Producers
Direct Reports: Back-end developers
We are a remote team. We welcome applicants located outside of our Los Angeles and Amsterdam offices. Overlap with US working hours is required regardless of location.
Permanent, full time (40 hours/week).
Freelance candidates will be considered.
Salary based on experience. Immediate start.
- Minimum 5+ years of backend development in Node.js working with Google Cloud Platform (GCP) and Firebase services including Cloud Firestore, Firebase Realtime Database, Cloud Functions.
- Able to plan and develop custom integrations as required, typically with content management systems such as Sanity CMS, as well as third party systems and CRMs.
- Able to manage cloud infrastructure on GCP that is secure and scale for production. Support live events and ensure services are running smoothly, load tested and optimized for expected traffic.
- Able to plan and scope large projects, solve deep technical problems.
- Experience developing secure, reliable, production applications at scale. Strong understanding of developing secure applications.
- Company sponsored medical plans (100% premium paid for employee), group term life & long term disability (US-based)
- 401(k) plan with employer match + immediate vesting (US-based)
- PTO: 15 vacations days, 5 sick days, 2 floating holidays, and 8 holidays
- $1500 of professional development funds each year after 1 year of full time employment
- Hardware and WFH allowance