Senior Systems Developer
Posted Nov 8
Headquarters: Portland, OR
Treehouse brings affordable technology education to people everywhere in order to help them achieve their dreams and change the world. We're on a mission to make technology education affordable and accessible for everyone. Our students learn at their own pace and become job ready within months at a fraction of the cost of traditional college or training.
Come join us and do the best, most meaningful work of your career.
This is a 100% remote friendly position that can be done anywhere within the United States. You must be eligible to work in the US. This position can also be done from one of our offices in Portland, OR and Orlando, FL
The Systems team at Treehouse helps plan, build, document, and maintain the services and underlying technical infrastructure of the Treehouse website. We run on OpenStack and codify our infrastructure with Ruby and Chef. We run applications on all major operating systems.
In addition to performing the duties of a Systems Developer, the Senior Systems Developer provides the team with technical support and leadership.
- Plan, build, document, and maintain Treehouse’s technical infrastructure
- Manage reliability of company sites and services
- Participate in an on-call rotation for incident response
- Consult and strategize with developers and other teams on complex problems; making decisions and recommendations about systems improvements after analyzing possible courses of action
- Contribute to the adoption and implementation of modern DevOps practices
- Handle inquiries from support to resolve technical issues
- Facilitate daily communication and plan with other teams
- Collaborate with other teams to assess and improve processes
- Communicate with Director of Engineering regarding the state of team deliverables
- Monitor and coordinate Systems Development team activities, to ensure effective process and workload management
- Serve as central point of contact for systems issues/improvement
- Actively participate in recruiting activities and may serve as hiring manager for Systems Development team hires
- Provide on boarding to new-hires and ongoing functional training to team members
- Contribute to performance management by providing input to manager regarding individual technical contributions
- Recommend resource purchases (i.e. hardware/software)
- Ensure that the team follows best practices, and keeps technology up-to-date
- Experience in systems administration and a deep understanding of how the basic web-related services (load balancers, high availability solutions, web servers, databases, caching daemons, etc.) work
- Experience with a configuration management tool like Chef or Puppet. We use Chef, so demonstrated experience in Chef is desirable
- Experience with containerization technologies and tooling, especially Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience migrating infrastructure operations to new hosting providers, especially Google Cloud
- Well versed in the best security, performance, and reliability practices for both web and systems applications
- Solid understanding of TCP/IP networking.
- Proficiency in at least one popular scripting language
- Familiarity with cloud computing platforms and their configuration
- Ability to problem solve and motivate others without formal managerial authority
- Exceptional time management, organizational skills, and ability to work under pressure
- Strong communications skills, both verbal and written, including the ability to lead meetings and set agendas
- Highly collaborative, able to develop effective relationships across a dispersed, remote team
- Typically requires 5+ years in software development or related the field
Apply for this position
Apply directly on our site at: https://teamtreehouse.com/jobs/at-treehouse-b35b3a7f-2df8-4f4b-a91e-3dab3b6c9764