Head of Support
Posted Oct 31
Hiya! We’re SkyVerge and we love eCommerce. Our products help merchants manage and grow their online stores, all the way from boutique corner shops to Fortune 500 retailers. We’re looking for a Head of Support to join our fully-distributed team who will improve our support team and processes across our entire suite of products.
You’ll be focused on ensuring that our customer support across our products and the platforms we work with continues to meet our high standards, and is constantly improving. You’ll be coaching support and engineering team members on tone and process, doing everything from reviewing drafts, spot-reading replies, assisting in de-escalating difficult threads, to tracking and improving team metrics on replies, response times, and response quality.
We know that the best learning and understanding comes from hands-on experience, so you’ll also be rolling up your sleeves to assist with support and pre-sales questions across our product suite. We have over 70 different products, so you’re excited that there’s always something new to learn.
You’ll have the opportunity to dive in and question everything: is what we’re doing effective? How are we measuring success? What standards are we setting? How can we improve and unify process across all products we support? Are our tools supporting our goals?
We expect that our head of support will be pushing our team forward on customer service best-practices, impeccable tone and voice, accuracy in replies, great supporting documentation, maintaining an internal knowledge base, and overall ensuring that our organization’s support runs as efficiently and seamlessly as a Swiss watch. We have several amazing team members already supporting our customers every day; you’ll be working directly with them to take our support to new heights.
We expect you to work closely with our product and development teams to ensure we’re building great products, have solid feedback loops in place for further improvements, and that customers get the help they need while running their businesses.
You have a remarkable knack for understanding our customers’ problems, and working together with them to understand our products and resolve issues. You know good customer service comes from a place full of empathy, helpfulness, and friendliness. Your written communication is crystal-clear and representative of the standards our team should work towards.
You’re solutions-oriented, self-directed, curious, and love solving problems. No question is too difficult for you to research, critically evaluate current best-practices, then develop your own path forward for an optimal solution or potential improvements. You can do this on your own, or work with a team to drive a project forward. You question existing practices and seek out the “best” way to do things.
To succeed in this role, you’ll have:
- excellent written communication and native-level English fluency. (Do you have proficiency in other languages? Tell us! We love being able to support customers in their native language.)
- ability to thrive in a remote environment (along with a reliable internet connection).
- above-average skills for reporting on and evaluating data & support metrics.
- boundless curiosity and inquisitiveness for our products and how we can do things better.
- high technical competency, such as ability to use FTP, launch a website from scratch, and understand software development in general.
- proficiency with HTML / CSS.
- experience writing technical documentation or guides.
- experience in previous team captain or leadership roles.
- experience in supporting software (downloadable or SaaS, we do both!).
It’s helpful if you have:
- experience with eCommerce, or with platforms we work with in particular (Shopify, WooCommerce, Easy Digital Downloads).
- previous experience working remotely.
- are US or CA-based for maximum overlap with our existing support team.
Our team is fully-remote and we communicate primarily through Slack, GitHub, Help Scout, and weekly stand-ups on Monday via Zoom (a few short meetings on Monday) — we believe the best work happens when given lots of uninterrupted time that’s free of distractions. That said, we believe face time is valuable — availability for 1-2 company-paid team trips (SkyTrip!) per year is necessary.
This is a full-time, salaried position, but hours are flexible. We know your work will speak for itself with support metric improvements, documentation added, and wiki edits.
Qualified candidates will get an email with a few questions to answer via email. Following that, you’ll have a few 30-minute phone chats with different people on our team to learn more about you and answer any questions you have about the position and company.
If this goes well, we’ll invite you to join our team and start your 4-week trial. During this period, you’ll work full-time as a contractor, or part-time on nights/weekends if you already have a full-time position. This gives you an opportunity to make sure you enjoy the work and the team, and it gives us an opportunity to evaluate your work. We’ll have regular chats each week to share feedback and make sure we’re on the same page. At the end of the 4 weeks, you’ll be offered a permanent position 🙂
Here are some benefits we're excited to offer to our team members:
- Competitive salary
- Annual incentive for meeting team and company goals
- 25 days of paid time-off, in addition to 2 company holidays (SkyVerge Day in March, Founders Day in June 😀)
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance for US and Canadian residents and their families (reimbursements for comparable care for non-US/Canadian residents)
- 401k/RRSP Retirement plan with 4% company match for US/Canadian residents (contributions to comparable plans for non-US/Canadian residents)
- Work from anywhere that has a reliable internet connection
- The tools (hardware/software) you need to be productive
- Allowance for professional growth (books, courses, conferences)
- Home office or co-working allowance
- A Kindle to help you keep learning
We support workplace diversity and do not discriminate on any protected class. We believe when we work together as a team of different views, experiences, and ideas, we can build amazing things.
Apply for this position
The position is now closed, thank you for your interest.