Lead DevOps Engineer
Posted May 17
Headquarters: Detroit, MI
Collage.com’s mission is to make custom products easy for everyone. We strive to do this by providing superior software and excellent customer service. We sell an expanding variety of photo and home products, including photo blankets, photo books, canvases, pillows, and more. Our company has been featured on the TODAY Show, The View, and Good Morning America many times. We are a profitable, 100% employee-owned company that has rapidly grown to 50 employees and $22M annual revenue over the past five years.
As a remote company, our development team is set up to empower individuals. The less time developers spend dealing with cumbersome processes and inefficient systems, the more time they have to solve problems and make an impact. We believe in staying at the forefront of best practices so that we can focus on work that matters. We use continuous deployment (anything that is merged following a pull request goes straight to production) and are fully distributed with all of our systems in the cloud. We invest heavily in developing software well and using the best technology to delight our customers.
We are seeking an ambitious and nice dev ops leader who shares our passion for building a great software company. As a 100% remote organization (read about our remote workplace at remote.co), this is a unique opportunity to define how our software development organization should run without having an office. As the leader of DevOps at Collage.com, you will play a pivotal role in improving the experience and productivity of your team members every day. You will be the key evangelist of a vision to continuously strengthen our underlying foundation of infrastructure and automation to deliver performance and reliability while making software easy to develop. Our goal is to continue our fast pace of growth and create the best work environment for engineers to be happy, productive, and grow professionally.
- Lead Collage.com’s dev ops strategy and roadmap.
- Fully own our build and continuous deployment systems (currently Webpack and Jenkins)
- Manage our production and development environments (currently LAMP, Vagrant), including configuration and updates.
- Administer our AWS infrastructure to maximize reliability and performance while maintaining a lean cost structure.
- Manage our cloud database systems and data pipeline to Redshift
- Passion for staying at the forefront of engineering best practices and helping other developers
- Previous relevant experience supporting a modern web application architecture (either pure operations, or software engineering with a knack for dev ops)
- Strong knowledge of scripting languages (e.g., Bash, Python), Amazon Web Services (e.g., EC2, S3, CloudFront, ElastiCache), SQL, Linux, Webpack, continuous integration systems (e.g., Jenkins), and development environment configuration (e.g., Vagrant, Docker, Puppet)
- Experience with cloud database administration (e.g., MySQL, Postgres, ETL, Redshift) is preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, or equivalent work experience
Benefits and Perks
- Working from home makes it easier to focus on results and develop professionally while spending less time commuting. (See our opinion piece on perks and work-life balance at mlive.com.)
- 401(k) plan, home internet reimbursement, and $3,000 / year in free Collage.com products plus employee discount for friends and family.
- Collage.com pays 100% of the premium for full health, vision and dental insurance coverage for you and your family in a high-quality Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO plan.
- Flexible work schedule and unlimited vacation policy (work hard and take time when you need it).
- We’ll pay for any computer and home office equipment (within reason) that will help you work better.
The Interview Process
After we have verified your background, experience, and basic coding ability, we will give you a take-home assignment. The goal of this assignment is to test your ability in a real work environment where you pull together resources from the internet rather than having to recall nuances of bash syntax on a white board.
Next, you will have two separate interview with senior engineers that cover in-depth technical questions about SQL, PHP, build systems, etc. followed by a discussion of systems architecture. Finally, you will talk to both founders of the company about dev ops strategy and Collage.com.