Back-End Web Developer
Posted Apr 20
Headquarters: Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
Silverorange is a twelve-person design and development agency based in Canada. Our focus is on interesting and meaningful projects. We’ve worked with well known technology organizations like Duolingo and Mozilla, and with world-renowned doctors training other doctors through online education. The core of our team has been together for eighteen years. During that time we’ve focused as much on quality of life, openness, empathy, and a wonderful work environment as we have on our commitment to building great user-focused systems.
We’re looking for an intermediate level back-end web developer to join our team and help us build new features for an awesome client in the medical education field.
Applications close April 28th, at which point we’ll be in touch with only those people we shortlist. This position is available immediately and we will work with you to get you started as soon as possible.
Inclusion & Diversity
People with different backgrounds and experiences make us stronger, and we’re always looking for ways to improve. Our team is getting more diverse, but we’re still missing voices from different backgrounds and experiences who could make our work better. Why not help us with that? We highly encourage people from traditionally underrepresented groups to apply - we’d love to hear from you.
- Implementing features and pages on a PHP-based website.
- Maintaining existing features.
- Designing and implementing APIs.
- Reviewing code changes from other developers on the project.
- Working from provided Photoshop designs, wireframes, or HTML mockups.
- Be located in, and available to work from Canada.
- Be able to quickly learn and understand new systems.
- Have some experience using PHP. Extensive PHP experience is an advantage, but not a requirement.
- Know how to write SQL (we use PostgreSQL).
- Be able to communicate clearly with clients and co-workers.
- Have experience doing back-end development on reasonably complex systems.
- Know how to effectively work with remote team members and business partners across time-zones. Our client is in California and we have team members in Charlottetown, Montreal, BC, and Ecuador.
While not required, ideally you’ll also also bring some of the following skills:
- iOS or Android app development.
Remote Working is a Possibility
This position can be remote, though you are welcome to work from our lovely offices in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada.
As it stands, 33% of our current team and 95% of our clients are remote (most are international). You’ll need to be comfortable working with remote clients and co-workers regardless of your location.
If you plan to work remotely, we will fly you to Charlottetown for your first week of work. All remote employees spend some time each year working with the local team in Charlottetown. Count on visiting Charlottetown semi-regularly.
Though you may be working remotely, you’ll be an active member of a great small team, both here at silverorange and with our clients. Regular voice or video communication will help keep you in touch with the smart people you’ll be working with.
- Flexible work hours.
- 3 weeks of vacation, on top of 9 days of civic holidays and 3 weeks of company-wide shut down.
- Health and dental coverage.
- Yearly company-wide bonuses based on overall company success, plus ownership opportunities and dividends for long-term employees.
- Salary starting at CAD $50,000 per year, with an expectation of career growth.
How to Apply
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Project EM”, a brief overview of your qualifications, links to relevant examples of recent work (GitHub or an equivalent profile is a great place to start), and an explanation of why you’d be great for the job. Tell us about an interesting project you’ve worked on or helped ship. We value individuality and variety, so make sure to tell us what you’re all about. If you have an online presence—such as a blog, Twitter, or Facebook—send it along.
Apply for this position
Email us at email@example.com