Posted Feb 7
Headquarters: New York City, NY
Who We Are
Food52 is a James Beard Award-winning online food community, recipe hub, and home and kitchen shop. Our mission is to inspire people to eat thoughtfully and live joyfully. We see the kitchen as a gateway to how you live.
Our product and engineering team consists of the product managers, designers, and engineers who build the systems that Food52 uses to produce amazing editorial content and a shopping experience that delights our users. Our website is written in Ruby on Rails, with a sprinkling of AWS services (RDS Postgres, redis). On the client side we use React and Knockout. Our batch systems are authored in Python and Clojure (for Cascalog / Hadoop).
We are committed to building a diverse team, and are especially interested in applicants who will expand our range of experiences and perspectives. We have several openings on the team! If you feel like you don't exactly fit this one, take a look at the others at https://food52.com/jobs
Who You Are
- You are an experienced software engineer with at least five years experience who loves writing code and finding simple solutions that solve user and business needs.
- You see your role as both mentor and coder, putting the needs of the team first. You enjoy helping other engineers understand best practices in a thoughtful and considerate way, and earn respect through high quality work.
- Mentor other software engineers by collaborating on architectural and design considerations and helping them understand standard solutions and when to cut corners.
- Implement features in our editorial and e-commerce platform, such as international shopping, automated recommended content, and video management.
- Build personalization systems, giving our users delightful content—what does go well with chocolate and bananas? The perfect answer must be somewhere in our recipe data.
- Help our team improve the quality of our code through thoughtful collaboration, code refactoring, and other software engineering best practices.
- At least several years of experience in software engineering teams, with some amount of team lead or mentorship experience.
- Strong background in algorithms, data structures, and software engineering principles.
- A continued love and curiosity for technology, and a desire to stay familiar with the latest available technologies.
Nice to Haves
- Experience with AWS and frameworks like Ruby on Rails, or with Python and a similar framework
- Experience with data analytics, data warehousing, and SQL
- Love of food and cooking
Apply for this position
Apply at https://food52.com/jobs