Senior Ruby Backend Developer
Posted Jan 6
Headquarters: Swansea, UK
Veeqo is an award winning high growth tech startup company which has customers around the world and an ambition to become the best software platform for online retailers to manage their business. It helps online retailers sync their stock between their website, retail stores and marketplaces like eBay and Amazon.
Veeqo is growing at an astonishing 300% per year and is expanding globally. Joining Veeqo is a unique opportunity to get involved in a world class start up. Our company is based in London and Swansea and is expanding internationally rapidly ( US, Germany …)
We need another smart brain to join our development team. You are expected to be already skilled and experienced in the main parts of our technology stack. We also need experience in mentoring juniors and middle devs, very good code review culture, business awareness and overall friendliness.
We have offices in London, Swansea and shortly Cardiff but some of our team prefer to work remote, which we fully support.
Less than a dozen developers, both frontend and backend, divided into sub-teams. Our workflow and practices are based on shared culture rather than on red tape, which means that you will be also responsible for keeping, maintaining and conducting the culture. We are still a relatively small team, so your contribution will be significant.
Our backend technology stack
Backend is separated from frontend and plays a role of RESTful JSON API. We communicate with dozens of 3rd party APIs and our own separate services. A lot of asynchronicity is involved, with the vast majority of work being done in background queue processors. We use:
- Ruby as an imperative language
- Elixir as a functional language
- Rails and Phoenix as web frameworks
- Postgres as a relational database
- Redis and Memcache as key-value storages
- RabbitMQ and Redis as message queueing solutions
- Sidekiq and Sneakers as background job processing frameworks
- ElasticSearch as a full-text search engine
- Developing and maintaining large mature Ruby applications
- Writing and maintaining all kinds of tests
- Mentoring junior and middle developers
- Keeping technical debt low
- Working in a distributed team, being absolutely comfortable working with remote teammates
- Being able to maintain open-source project is preferred
Technical skills required for this job
- Ruby at a very high level of knowledge. Metaprogramming skill is strictly required.
- Backend parts of Ruby on Rails
- SQL, particularly Postgres
Who are you ?
- You're a person who writes clean code that not only works, but is also maintainable and easy to change
- You’re self-organized
- You want to make the best UI for great experience of our customers
- You have a patience and strong will to invigorate teammates
- You want to build a career in a global company
- You thrive in a fast-growing, always-changing environment
- You want to be challenged every day
What do we (as a development team) practice:
- TDD (obviously)
- Continuous integration
- Continuous delivery
- Infrastructure as a code
- Well-defined planning process
- Regular team retrospectives
- Non-blocking code reviews
In short, we do our best to shorten feedback loops from any change of the system.
- Be part of a fast growth start-up and make a difference
- Our company highly supports personal and professional growth so it’s a great opportunity to became a team lead
- Annual budget for going to conferences or training in Europe
- Spotify Premnuim, Private GP and Gym Membership
- Share option
- We have an open business culture, so you’ll be able to see all aspects of the start-up growth
- Work in a friendly, cross-functional team, with people who aim to be the best and love to tackle problems
- Remote first - we believe in quality of work, not sitting in an office for 8 hours
- Explicitly allocated time every week to learn new technologies and hacking
- “The No Asshole” rule is applied
Apply for this position
Apply for this job via this link https://veeqo.workable.com/jobs/405312